Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Healthy recipes

Go down 
+5
The Reverend
Flora V. Arbor
E0N (Inactive)
DRock
Blue Alpha
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Mods may want this is Training or G.D., but we'll leave that up to them.

I thought it'd be cool for us to post our healthy recipes here. Its hard to eat sensibly nowadays and we can always use good ideas. Remember: Sensible meal ideas, no criteria to meet. Some fat, sugar,and carbs won't kill ya in moderation.

I'll go first:

Beef stir fry:

Ingredients:
1.5 pounds top-round steak w/extra fat trimmed, sliced thin
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup any veggies you like (I use brocolli, cauliflower, baby carrots, and shitake mushrooms)
1 cup low-sodium teriyaki sauce
1/8th cup crushed raw peanuts

Cut steak into large bite-size pieces and soak for at least 2 hours in teriyaki sauce. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the steak, setting the liquid aside. Cook untill the meat is medium-rare, then add the extra sauce and the rice.Cover and reduce heat to medium-low, cook for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring often.Add veggies and cook for about 5 minutes. Serve topped with crushed nuts.

Facts: Top round is the leanest steak, 95% fat free with the fat untrimmed.Its too bland for the grill, but it takes a marinade wonderfully. You can substitute chicken, shrimp or pork.

--------------------------------------------------------

Healthy Meatloaf.

Ingredients:
2 lb chub of ground beef (7% fat or leaner, I use 4%)
1 cup steel-cut oatmeal
2 large eggs
1tablespoon oregano
1packet mushroom gravy ix (powder)
1 small red potato, grated (use the large holes on a cheese grater)
1 tablespoon low fat bacon bits (optional)
1/4 cup mushrooms, chopped

Mix meat, oatmeal, eggs, oregano, gravy mix, and potato together, placing in a foil pan (I use ones used for bread,pie-tins work too). Cook for 60 minutes on 350 degrees. Drain off excess fat. Top with bacon and/or mushrooms and continue baking for another 10-20 minutes or until done (poke with toothpicks, will come out clean when its done). Serve topped with ketchup, steak sauce, worchister sauce, fat-free gravy, salsa....Experiment!

Facts:A little fatty, but the healthy carbs in the oatmeal and potatoes and all the protien makes this a good pre/post workout meal.
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:40 pm

Replace the beef with bison and you'll have something lean and tasty
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:22 pm

DRock wrote:
Replace the beef with bison and you'll have something lean and tasty

Hells yeahs, but buffalo can be harder/more expensive. Deer's awesome too.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:06 pm

I've really been thinking about some kind of cooking thread, because it's been an increasing obsession of mine...

Pretty hard subject for me to try to be brief about, though.

I would say that "healthy" is a relative term. Usually I'm worried about getting enough calories, getting the right amount of protein (about 20 grams per meal for me), stuff like that. My opinion is if you drink enough water you don't have to worry about salt (within reason).

Also I try to find 4-6 recipes when I'm trying to make something new and sort of split the difference between them. Measuring out stuff like "2 teaspoons of oregano" is a relatively new phenomenon.

Anyways... recipes...

These are some that have worked well for me:

Smoky Red Rice and Chorizo with Black Beans [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Chicken Curry [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Green chicken curry [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hoover Stew
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"Gorge" [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Budae Jjiggae (Korean war era Korean stew) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [the uniquely Asian ingredients are much cheaper at a local Asian market])

Fried Cornmeal Mush [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hobo Stew [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pork and Beans and corn (mix one can of each and heat)

Army style creamed beef (SOS) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Army chili [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A bazillion ramen recipes [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Spaghetti (follow the directions on the packages Razz)

Make your own "hamburger helper" [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"Almost Gyros" [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A bunch of free cookbooks [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[for example, here's an old White House Cook Book: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ]

Basically every modern army recipe for free (your tax dollars paid for them) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (you will obviously need to scale down the quantities)

"Perpetual Stew" (a recent discovery for me) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Some other stuff I found useful is reading up on how to properly make eggs, the Japanese style way of making rice, how to properly manage "Al Dente" with noodles, and noting that virtually all canned vegetables other than Collard Greens, Kale, Spinach, and Squash are almost worthless in terms of food value.

I'll stop there for now.

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:23 pm

Also if I could figure out how to do it I'd move this to the lounge or at least training. I like the subject and it's useful and an underrated topic -- but this new section for training logs shouldn't be cluttered with basically everything but "training logs"...

IMO.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:34 pm

Like I said, this is for sensible eating, not just for health nuts. And if it needs to be moved so be it.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Take raw mushroom caps, place open end up in a non-stick pan or sandwich press (like a Foreman grill) with a few drops of extra-virgin olive oil and cook until soft. Serve on top of a green salad.The juices from the mushrooms (and the heart-friendly oils) will make a delicious, nutricious dressing.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:43 pm

Eon wrote:
Measuring out stuff like "2 teaspoons of oregano" is a relatively new phenomenon.

My measurements are guesstimates. Part of cooking is altering recipes to match your own preferences.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:00 pm

Not arguing with you, man... I just can get talkie on this subject even more than usual. I'm pretty obsessed with cooking.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:13 pm

Awesome bro Very Happy

Last edited by Blue Alpha on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:23 pm

YAY!!!!!!!!!!

I have a mess of leftovers today:

ground Turkey, broc, grits, celery salt and a big big spooooon!
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:08 pm

I abhor alcohol, my life and childhood would've been better without it. I'm even uncomfortable being around others when they drink (which is why I left the HOPE/Superheroes doc afterparty so early. But I always keep a fully stocked 'bar' in the house, for cooking!

Rum & lime Mahi Mahi

Ingredients: 2lbs Mahi Mahi, cut about 1" thick
1 cup dark rum
1 cup lime juice
1 lemon, sliced thin
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/8 cup citrus flavored vodka
Sea salt and black pepper

Mix rum, vodka, lime juice, brown sugar in a bowl. Use to marinate the Mahi Mahi for at least 6 hours. Place fish in a baking pan, add liquid until fish is half submegered (so top half is above the liquid), discard the extra. Season lightly with slat and pepper and top with lemon slices. Cover with foil and bake at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes or until doe (fish will flake easily with a fork). DO NOT OVER COOK! Serve with wild rice and asparugus.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:13 pm

Raspberry-Strawberry Pork Kabobs

1lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1" cubes
Strawberries w/ends cut off
1 yellow squash, cut into 1" slices
1 cup light raspberry walnut vinagrette (make sure you use vinagrette, there is a creamy one that doesn't work!)
1/2cup strawberry soda
Mushroom caps, whole

Mix vinagrette and soda, use to marinate pork at least 24 hours. Skewer on wood skewers with strawberries, squash and mushrooms. Cook over a BBQ grill, turning and brushing with the soda/dressing often. Serve with rice.

Note:You can use this marinade with large cuts of pork, but if you BBQ it does tend to char. To avoid overly-blackened meat, wrap it in foil with some of the liquid.

Facts: Trimmed pork tenderloin has fewer calories and more protien than chicken breast. And don't freak out when the meat is purple!
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:23 pm

Healthy Spagetti

1 package protien-enriched whole wheat angel hair pasta
1 16oz jar of your favorite spagetti sauce (non-meat)
1/2 cup sliced portabella mushrooms
1/3 lb ground lean pork
2 tablespoons basil flakes
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cheyenne powder
1 small tomato, diced
1 small green bellpepper, diced (consider using 1/2 a big one)
1/8 cup vodka
1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Pretty easy: Mix the sauce, vodka, oil, tomatoes, bellpepper and mushrooms in a pot over low heat, stirring occasionally. Cook noodles as directed. Brown the pork seasoned with the basil, garlic and cheyenne. Mix together and serve hot.

facts: A good brand of ground pork is cheaper and leaner than ground turkey (Farmer John's brand is 96% fat free, and the average price of a 1.5lb package is $3.99 WHEN ITS NOT ON SALE!). No matter what seasonings you use, I recomend something sweet (like basil) to counteract the meats natural sourness.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:45 pm

I'm going to attempt a traditional Chinese medicine version of chicken soup tonight, probably with some ginseng added. Sort of like this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hopefully that'll go okay. I'll also probably have to use Astragalus extract rather than the actual root.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:46 pm

Blue Alpha wrote:
I abhor alcohol, my life and childhood would've been better without it. I'm even uncomfortable being around others when they drink (which is why I left the HOPE/Superheroes doc afterparty so early. But I always keep a fully stocked 'bar' in the house, for cooking!

Rum & lime Mahi Mahi

Ingredients: 2lbs Mahi Mahi, cut about 1" thick
1 cup dark rum
1 cup lime juice
1 lemon, sliced thin
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/8 cup citrus flavored vodka
Sea salt and black pepper

Mix rum, vodka, lime juice, brown sugar in a bowl. Use to marinate the Mahi Mahi for at least 6 hours. Place fish in a baking pan, add liquid until fish is half submegered (so top half is above the liquid), discard the extra. Season lightly with slat and pepper and top with lemon slices. Cover with foil and bake at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes or until doe (fish will flake easily with a fork). DO NOT OVER COOK! Serve with wild rice and asparugus.

I'LL BE RIGHT OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:47 pm

E0N wrote:
I'm going to attempt a traditional Chinese medicine version of chicken soup tonight, probably with some ginseng added. Sort of like this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hopefully that'll go okay. I'll also probably have to use Astragalus extract rather than the actual root.

..AND THEN, I'LL INVITE MYSELF TO EON'S FOR LUNCH

( I better start doing dishes!)
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:15 am

E0N wrote:

Authentic Asian food is always awesome, let us know how it turns out.

Flora wrote:
I'LL BE RIGHT OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

See ya @ 11:30 Wink

Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:08 am

Well, I see we got moved Razz . Maybe now someone else will post something.
C'mon peoples, Eon and I can't do all the cooking!
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Tequilla-Orange Chicken Tacos

1lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 cup orange juice
1/4cup tequilla
1 small white onion, peeled and cut in half
1 red bellpepper, diced
1 tablespoon chile pepper
Whole-wheat tortillas (soft taco size)
1/4lb shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded lettuce or cabbage (bagged salad mix works well)
1 tomato, diced
Finely chopped cilantro

Mix OJ, tequilla and chile powder in a bowl. Add chicken and onion and marinate for at least 36 hours. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and about 2 tablespoons of the liquid and cook until it's light brown. Add bellpepper (you can also dice and add the onion if you wish, I'm not big on it) and another tablespoon of marinade (discard the rest) and cook until it's soft. Serve on warm tortillas topped with cheese, lettuce, tomato and cilantro. Picante sauce can be used in replacement of cilantro/tomatoes. Serve with black beans.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:00 pm

Texas Caviar

Ingredients: One can black-eyed peas, drained
1/3 cup light/fat-free italian dressing
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 yellow bellpepper, diced
1 small tomato, diced

Mix all ingredients and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Mix and serve cold as a side dish.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:05 pm

Mango Salsa

2 mangos, peeled and diced
1 can black beans, drained
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 can kernel corn,drained
1 small tomato, diced

Mix all ingredients and keep refrigerated. Cook a white fish (shark, catfish, cod, bass) however you like (no breadings, grilled with a lemon drizzle works nice) and serve over rice, topped with mango salsa. Salsa also goes good on sandwiches when you need to get rid of leftover seafood.
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:27 pm

Good thread ! I use the crockpot most days . Easy way to make healthy , tasty meals for little cost .

French onion soup
2 whole onions , I prefre walla wallas when they are in season but whites ore very good . Sliced
1 whole garlic diced
1 tablespoon of seasalt and 2 beef bullion cubes
Optional some lean pork grilled and sliced .

Put all ingrediants in crocpot with 2 cups of water turn on low and go to work . Tasty dinner when you get home . I have another dozen good recipies all of theme are good for handouts cause you can have a nice dinner and take 4 to 6 servings to feed the homeless . Total cost 4 to 8 bucks
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:16 pm

Tonight

4 red potatos , 10 baby carrots , 1 large walla walla onion . All sliced and chopped , various sizes .
1 pound of petite serloin thin sliced . Seared and sliced
I whole garlic minced
2 cups of vegtable stock ( swanson . Lower salt )
Put all in crockpot , put in fridge . Will cook on low tommrow morning . Nice dinner ready for me when I get home after work
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:19 pm

swoooooonnnnn
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Healthy recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Healthy recipes
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next