Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Putting an animal down

Go down 
+16
E0N (Inactive)
Blue Alpha
The Reverend
Leviathan
Kaiju
Silver Sentinel
Crossfire the Crusader
Proteus
omniamalgam
Kitty-Kat
Hazmat
Urban Avenger
Gauge
Equal
Veritas
Polarman
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Putting an animal down Empty
PostSubject: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Just wondering if there could be a better way to put the animal down Iqaluit doesnt have any vets or animal hospitals and I dont have a gun so I cant just shoot the animal Yesterday I put down a small puppy that was suffering by tying a belt around her neck to choke her then smashed a rock through her head because We knew that without a vet ther was no way to save her and because she was in alot of inimaginable pain because of a larve (Not the person on here) who was lower than a maggot decided it was funny to torture her then leave her to die in pain
Back to top Go down
Veritas

Veritas

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Hmm I know how you feel about these kind of things, had a cat a while back when we lived in Arizona that someone skinned the cat down to the muscles from the half way point of the body back and broke it's back legs, no vet nearby and could tell it was in a lot of pain, no gun, the only thing that could be done to take it out of it's pain was to break the neck as swift as possible, it's sad to do and it's even sadder when a person does this to a animal to cause it pain just makes me want to do the same thing they did to the animal to them, I gave the cat a burial as I am a cat lover and it was hard for me to do what had to be done because while digging the hole for the cat to be buried in I cried, and it really made me angry that day I really wanted to go out and find the retard that did it to give them punishment.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Call a vet and ask. That's how I learned to put birds down.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Don't call the person retarded please. Mentally challenged people would be offended you grouped someone lime this in with them. Smile
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:41 pm

knife, back of the head between the base of the skull and the spine.

instant, humane.
Back to top Go down
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:25 pm

UA is on the money there. Its about as fast as you can hope for without a gun.
Back to top Go down
Kitty-Kat

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:26 pm

Last edited by Kitty-Kat on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
omniamalgam

omniamalgam

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:24 pm

I'd have to agree with Urban Avenger and Gage. The only drawback I can see is not having a knife, and even if you do, you still have to put the blade in the animal, deliver the death blow, as it were. You can ask anyone who's had actual combat experience, gone out hunting, or just good old fashion common sense, killing is always difficult for both partys. Just as a mind is a terrible thing to waste, a life is a horrific thing to take. Also, Kitty-Kat is right, doing the deed right their on the spot should be a last resort. After all, if you get any blood on your person, A) It's an annoying task to clean it out, and B) if some random impressionable youngster looks at you and they see blood, theirs a good chance they're going to freak out. On top of that theirs usually someone who knows more who could save that animal from the pain. Even if some monster irreversibly disables/handicaps an animal, they still have a shot at life. While the entire story escapes me as does the name and to be quite honest I'm not sure if this is fact, or still holds any relevance, an article on the New York Initiative told about a stray cat they took in (well done by the way) and nursed back to health. I'm not going to make some speach worthy of a P.E.T.A.(People for the Equal Treatment of Animals) enthusiast,(A life is a life, and I personally don't enjoy the idea of needless slaughter, but that doesn't mean I'm swearing off meat. I likes my bacon) but if you see an animal suffering, you should at least attempt to try and get it somewhere it can be taken care of, again, you should only kill the animal in suffering yourself as a last resort. If it does come to that, you should follow Veritas example and somehow dispose of the remains in a respectful fashion.
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:39 pm

Kitty-Kat wrote:
You take the puppy to the fucking Humane Society and let them humanly euthanize her.

While that may seem the obvious response, the site itself bears closer examination. I looked over this site and they cannot accept strays and they do not euthanize. however, the site does have this to say about both medical treatment and bringing in animals:

Quote :
"No. We are a no-kill organization. If an animal must be euthanized they are either sent down to the Ottawa Humane Society (at a cost) to receive a humane termination or they are given over to by-law for the alternative."
Quote :
"We only provide limited medical treatment to intakes we bring in. City residents with animal injuries must consult the veterinarian when they are in town or perform treatment themselves. We can not legally treat any animal unless it is released to us for liability reasons. The good news is the vet is coming to stay this year. Her arrival and base of operations will be revealed when we have more information."
Quote :
"Legally we can not accept animals unless they are (a) released to us by their rightful owner(s) and an Animal Release form is filled out and signed by the former owner or (b) transfered over to us from By-law. If you encounter an animal that you you feel isn't dangerous and needs attention please call By-law and inform them of the details. They will pick the animal up and make sure it is brought to the pound, fed and looked after. If the animal is in need of immediate medical care, is yery young or poses no threat it will be transfered over to us where we can see that it is properly taken care of."

Even though this site is not an immediate solution to the problem posed by Polarman, it is a good find though. The site is full of useful information and shows that there is going to be a vet in town soon. So hang in there, Polarman. Help is coming soon.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:05 am

Putting an animal down is last resort. If you are gonna make that decision you better know how to take it. Injuries can be healed, bleedings can be stopped and pain can be tolerated.
Back to top Go down
omniamalgam

omniamalgam

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:24 am

Couldn't have said it better myself Dogman
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:41 am

I would also like to point out that the type of individual who would torture an animal for pleasure is on a path toward anything from mass murder to serial killing. The discovery of this kind of cruelty should be reported to the authorities ASAP. It doesn't mean they'll catch the person who did it, but they need to be made aware of it.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:49 am

Everywhere I have lived or worked, the local police force has had an animal control officer that could be called in a situation like this. They have resources to take the animal to IF it can be saved and of course the resources to put it down if it can not.
Back to top Go down
Silver Sentinel

Silver Sentinel

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:46 pm

Polarman, next time immediately take the animal to the Iqaluit Human Society located at 1343 Ulu Lane. They'll be able to help the animal pass quickly, if not be able to be saved.

I know you absolutely abhor violence and that killing the animal was a humane act on your part (as well as a last resort), but something like this should be left to the shelter. The shelter will also be able to help you get the authorities involved and hopefully catch the scumbag that did this. I'm sorry for what you are going through, but know that the animal passed quickly and is no longer suffering.
Back to top Go down
Kaiju

Kaiju

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:49 pm

Honestly, Polarman, even though you told me about this days ago....I have to admit I'm still pretty ticked that someone would do something like this.

Anyway, sounds like SS got it right in this case.
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:47 pm

Kosher killing seems to be the most humane way in the field without euthanasia equipment and chemicals.

Aside from dealing with a hoist and shackle execution, a prayer can still be said for the creature during the shechita. Moving the most possible razor sharp knife you have, without nicking or dragging, make a slice through the esophagus and trachea at once.

If you feel or know that in the future you'll have to do a mercy killing, you might want to consider investing in a two part chemical kit, one to knock out the animal, and the second to stop heart and brain functions.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:49 pm

Leviathan, heed my advise.
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:55 pm

What did I do now?
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:58 pm

Nothing, but my method (utilized by survivalist bear gryls) is way more effective. And I've used it too.
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:03 pm

Ok, for a second I thought I was gonna hear about the whole kosher kill-knife in the neck thing and I'd have to retort with "take it up with my Rabbi"

I just pray this is one of those few things I'll never have to do.

Polar, did they ever find the vermin that did this to that dog?
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:57 pm

I'm just glad the police didn't happen by as Polarman was finishing the puppy off. Might be tough to explain.
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:09 pm

Not even gonna joke on that one, I just love animals too fucking much.
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:44 pm

I'm not gonna argue , and even though I totally disagree with k kat and those on her side I respect the way they feel .
My opinion is that in most situations the humane scocity is a terrible place to for an animal to die . Example 1 a criticly injured animal . I once hit a squrill with my bike , I ran him over and my tire hit him right in the middle . I immediately picked him up , he was broken in the middle and beyond hope . I quckly ended his pain with a knife to the neck . Taking him to the vet would have only extended his pain

Example 2 and this is the one that really disgusts me . If pet is old or injured-sick and their owners leave them at the vets office to be humanely put down . THIS IS NOT HUMANE !!! An animal dying in a place it dosent want to be in the hands of strangers while their owners drive home saying how they did the right thing is damned cruel . When its my dogs time I will take him to the woods x let him play if he can , give him love and respect . Put a sizeable pile of roast beef and let him go with happiness and peace in his mind because he won't even feel the bullet to the back of his head . I will do that because I love him , I love all animals . Please don't try to fight with me on this . Its ok to disagree
Back to top Go down
omniamalgam

omniamalgam

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:43 am

Ok then, color me biased but why make sides? Why point fingers and so on? Is it not something that we can each agree that nobody (with the exception of an unnamed few, you know who you are) wants to see an animal in suffering?
Back to top Go down
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:54 am

Welp, I think The Reverend is right on the money with the examples he gave. Also, my doge have always been members of the family. When I had a dog that got cancer and it was time, I took him to our vet and loved all over him as he got the shot. For all he knew it was just another visit and he would be going for a ride with his head out the window in just a few minutes. There is no way in hell id abandon a friend to die alone, confused and afraid just because it was emotionally uncomfortable for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putting an animal down   Putting an animal down Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Putting an animal down
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next