Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"Peak Human"

Go down 
+9
Starman
Polarman
Gauge
Crimson Catalyst
The Jinn
Gadgetastic!
thanatos
Flora V. Arbor
Shade Gargoyle
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Shade Gargoyle

Shade Gargoyle

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:08 pm

In superhero fiction, the term "peak human" is used with some frequency, almost always to describe heroes such as Green Arrow, or Batman who have no superhuman abilities. Well, some time ago, I was researching the upper limitations of the human body, when I came across an article describing the strongest man in recorded human history - Louis Cyr. Cyr was a Canadian strongman who lived during the mid 19th century who, by age eighteen, was able to lift a fully grown horse off the ground. The weight of the horse was estimated at roughly three quarters of a ton, which would put it at roughly 1,500 pounds. Perhaps his greatest feat of strength was a demonstration in which he lifted 18 men, all standing on a platform (Presumably of concrete, or stone) on his back, which weighed in at a grand total of 4,337 pounds. More than two full tons.
Just for reference, an average adult grizzly bear weighs in at anywhere between 400 to 800 pounds, and an average modern automobile is about 4000... Which means that this man could almost certainly have lifted a car.
The world's fastest man, who is still alive today, is an Olympic sprinter who clocked in at over 60 miles per hour, matching the top speed of an African Cheetah. For those of you who use the metric system, that's approximately 100 kilometers per hour, both of which well exceed the speed limit for motor vehicles within any city I know of.

Now, obviously these are extreme cases - most of us may never become half this strong or fast, even with dedicated training, but I thought you guys may find it inspirational to know just how close we can get to the ideals of superheroism. Admittedly, this is still a far cry from Superman or the Hulk, or the Flash or Quicksilver, but I think most people severely under-estimate what "ordinary human beings, with no super powers" are truly capable of. Just because we may not have godlike powers does not mean we aren't capable of great things, or even things many consider to be completely beyond the reach of human prowess.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:08 am

I have some of the books on these historical guys that I received from a roommate who was a powerlifter.

It is important to remember that these guys were NOT doing steroids.

( Sure,

they didn't spend a lot of time doing much else but...they did the deeds)
Back to top Go down
thanatos

thanatos

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:37 am

also don't let your preception of age limit you either. I'm 63 and those who have met me can tell you I'm pretty well preserved and still have some power behind my moves Smile

several film crews have found it hard to keep up with me when I'm doing.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:45 am

YAY for AGE!!!!!

I'm 52.5 and i just did 19 floors climb 8x!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOHOOO!!!!

Me 'n' You THANATOS!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
thanatos

thanatos

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:57 am

you hear that people?

GET OFF OUR LAWNS!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:02 am

HHEHEEHEHEHEHEEEE!!!

SmileSmileSmile
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:27 am

Cyr's abilities are thought to have been greatly exaggerated and were never tested under controlled conditions. Usian Bolt is the fastest man known and can run for very short distances at around 28 mph, far slower than a cheetah's 70 plus mph. The CHORD project has required me to study the subject of human potential exhaustively.
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:23 am

thanatos wrote:
you hear that people?

GET OFF OUR LAWNS!!!!!!

Make sure you shake your fist when you say that.
Back to top Go down
Crimson Catalyst

Crimson Catalyst

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:48 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is Kelly Nelson, at 77 years old. There are many other bodybuilders who are over 80, and physically function at higher capacities than most people do in their 20's. It just goes to show that sometimes, age really is just a number! Very Happy I work out every single day without fail, and I can only hope to look and feel that good when I get to be as old. It's just a matter of taking care of your body, really. Well... That, and a little luck with good genes.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:36 am

Unproven claims abound, and even make the history books in our schools. We all know who made the first American flag, or do we? The story of Betsy Ross was told by her family almost 80 years after the "fact", for instance. If I hear a story of a human lifting over two tons, or running as fast as a cheetah, I call bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Gauge wrote:
Unproven claims abound, and even make the history books in our schools. We all know who made the first American flag, or do we? The story of Betsy Ross was told by her family almost 80 years after the "fact", for instance. If I hear a story of a human lifting over two tons, or running as fast as a cheetah, I call bullshit.

It's safe to assume they're cyborgs and I, for one, am not negotiating with a fucking cyborg.
Back to top Go down
Shade Gargoyle

Shade Gargoyle

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:40 pm

I understand your skepticism, Gauge. For what it's worth, although the strongest man lived in the nineteenth century, I believe several of his feats were officially documented. The fastest man in recorded history, Usain Bolt, however, is still alive, at only 25 years old. He performed his feats of speed at the Olympic games, finishing the 100 meter dash in under ten seconds, which would put his top speed at roughly ten meters per second, or 37.5 kilometers an hour, or 23 miles per hour.

Admittedly, this is far less than Cheetah speeds, or motor vehicle speeds, but it is certainly impressive nonetheless. I apologize for the exaggeration and lack of research on my part, but I hope many of you will still find this inspirational.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:49 am

In purely inspirational terms, these feats make great stories. And the case of Usain Bolt is not in doubt, as I saw him run. The strength is puzzling, and I wonder how it was documented, and how the weight was measured and the lift was achieved.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:38 am

C C Where did you find that pic of my 4th grade teacher?
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:41 pm

tee hee!
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Is that you Flora in the bra with the dress?
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:33 pm

yah yah. too old to be invited to earn money belly dancing any more

but, mostly, in DC a girl needs to be burnette-looking

for authentic belly dance.

I look Irishy and, more importantly, too muscular/fitnessy.

That, and my impairment- cleavage-impairment.

I get a discount at the Renaisance Faire

Wink
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Cleavage Impairment??

Never heard that one before
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:01 pm

They has as special door at the Faire.

If you can fit through, sideways,

you only pay the "A" or "AA" price

Wink
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Nice
Back to top Go down
Starman

Starman

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:36 pm

thanatos wrote:
also don't let your preception of age limit you either. I'm 63 and those who have met me can tell you I'm pretty well preserved and still have some power behind my moves Smile

several film crews have found it hard to keep up with me when I'm doing.

Wait, you're 63?!? Mind=Blown
Back to top Go down
thanatos

thanatos

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:38 pm

yep.

now everyone get off my lawn
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanatos needs the room so I can clear off the ice and snow! You catch my drift?
Back to top Go down

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:15 am

@Shade Gargoyle: Thank you for creating this topic! I feel it's importnat that people don't limit themselves by saying things like "I'm only human." And stuff like that, the Human Mind and the Human body are capable of so much more than many can realize. Mind over matter. I also agree with age not being of any great significance; when I was twelve I tested my running skills and it got up to 20 miles an hour. Then again i weighed ninety pounds and was on the run from a bunch of sadistic doctors at the School....but still; if your mind/body can do it once, then it can do it again, and if you try to increase your limits you will prevail with determination. I try telling people this but all too often they insist on calling bullshit without even trying to beat their current limits. It's very frustrating but i guess eventually they'll learn. Thanks again for putting this up; people like you and I are people that will inspire humanity to go above and beyond what they previously thought was possible and more. Godspeed, Shade Gargoyle! Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"Peak Human" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

"Peak Human"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next