Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Distance Learning Programs

Go down 
+5
Idea Man
Ninja
Stephen Hannaway
monk64
Instructor
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

Distance Learning Programs Empty
PostSubject: Distance Learning Programs   Distance Learning Programs Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:15 am

A nice site that reviews Martial Arts Distance Learning programs:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
monk64

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Distance Learning Programs   Distance Learning Programs Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Thanks for posting the link. That's my site.

I hope people who have experiences (good or bad) with various programs will share their comments.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Hannaway

Stephen Hannaway

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Distance Learning Programs   Distance Learning Programs Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:09 pm

monk64 wrote:
Thanks for posting the link. That's my site.

I hope people who have experiences (good or bad) with various programs will share their comments.

Seriously? Thats great man, I love that we've got such a big talent pool Smile
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Distance Learning Programs   Distance Learning Programs Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:20 pm

Small world Monk!
Back to top Go down
Ninja

Ninja

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Distance Learning Programs   Distance Learning Programs Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:12 pm

Ok so I looked on the net and people are saying that learning with no instructor is pointless, or near enough...so whats your take on this?

I am currently downloading a dvd series as a taster, to see if I would like to start this MA up at a local club...if there is one
I have a friend who would also be intrested in learning it with me so what are we expected to achieve from this dvd set?

Of course not a black belt Laughing but will it be of any real use?
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Distance Learning Programs   Distance Learning Programs Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:20 pm

Interesting. I will have to look into this. It definitely wouldn't be pointless for me if I could earn a black belt. If I had that, I would become a Master Trainer for the "Just Yell Fire" program.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Distance Learning Programs   Distance Learning Programs Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:10 am

Mileage may vary with distance learning programs. If you have previous martial arts training you can actually learn quite a lot from a DLP but if you have no training at all you would be better off finding a local school.

By the way a good distance learning program is not without instructor. I interract with my students quite often.
Back to top Go down
Ninja

Ninja

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Distance Learning Programs   Distance Learning Programs Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:41 am

I did ages ago for a few months but ran out of money Laughing

oh right I see...do you then meet them at some point to see how they are doing?

I just done a quick search and there is one fairly close to me so when Im back on my feet ill probably go there
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Distance Learning Programs   Distance Learning Programs Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:07 am

We meet vitually in the digital dojang for review and testing (it's like skype). We meet occasionally in person at seminars and conferences.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Distance Learning Programs   Distance Learning Programs Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:17 pm

Ninja wrote:
Ok so I looked on the net and people are saying that learning with no instructor is pointless, or near enough...so whats your take on this?

I am currently downloading a dvd series as a taster, to see if I would like to start this MA up at a local club...if there is one
I have a friend who would also be intrested in learning it with me so what are we expected to achieve from this dvd set?

Of course not a black belt Laughing but will it be of any real use?

That door swings both ways. At the risk of plugging another forum on this one you can see a pretty healthy debate about this topic happening right now:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Rook

Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Distance Learning Programs   Distance Learning Programs Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:17 pm

There is indeed a huge debate raging as to whether distance education in the martial arts is actually "any good." I suppose it would largely depend on what it is that you are going for.

I've studied martial arts in both in-person and online formats.

During a few years of distance study, I earned a black belt in Arc Ryu, one of those homegrown fighting systems that an instructor developed to teach law enforcement officers, then later released to the public.

Here's my take-away from that: Distance learning will not prepare you terribly well for tournament marital arts. You'd probably need the hands-on advice of a coach and training partner for that.

Distance learning can give you a good sense of culturally-based martial arts, though it is probably better to have direct access to the instructor for that as well.

Distance learning can give you a good system of self defense, if the system itself is workable. If you've earned your black belt via distance, you may be in a bit of trouble if you're in a street fight near a dojo and a group of black belts are picking on you. However, if you're up against the average thug, you'll be much better off than without the training.

-Rook
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Distance Learning Programs   Distance Learning Programs Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:37 am

Rook1 wrote:
There is indeed a huge debate raging as to whether distance education in the martial arts is actually "any good." I suppose it would largely depend on what it is that you are going for.
It depends largely on what system of martial art that you plan to train in, if it is not the art of killing your opponent by using your body, then it is not an optimal martial art for combat, anything which is more tame could be considered more for sport or something else.
Back to top Go down
Silver Sentinel

Silver Sentinel

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Distance Learning Programs   Distance Learning Programs Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:21 pm

In a fight, you do what you train to do. If you have trained without an instructor, you will have uncorrected bad habits, improper forms. Your techniques will not be as powerful as you will have far less understanding of the actual physical mechanics of your techniques. Speed and timing will be off as well.

Books and DVDs can only show you one, or two, generic "feeds", or ways you will be attacked while you apply your technique or defensive maneuver. This will hamper your ability to adapt and apply to moves differently.

Is distance learning better than nothing? Yes, but when it comes to your physical safety and possibly your life.. distance learning, books, and DVDs are not something to GAMBLE YOUR LIFE AWAY ON!

Go to a school that is physically near you, and learn there, from an actual instructor. And don't bother asking what school/style to go to. If the only gym near you teaches boxing, then judo and krav maga are just going to have to wait.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Distance Learning Programs   Distance Learning Programs Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:40 pm

Again some distance learning systems do have instructor student interraction.

Silver Sentinel wrote:
In a fight, you do what you train to do. If you have trained without an instructor, you will have uncorrected bad habits, improper forms. Your techniques will not be as powerful as you will have far less understanding of the actual physical mechanics of your techniques. Speed and timing will be off as well.

Books and DVDs can only show you one, or two, generic "feeds", or ways you will be attacked while you apply your technique or defensive maneuver. This will hamper your ability to adapt and apply to moves differently.

Is distance learning better than nothing? Yes, but when it comes to your physical safety and possibly your life.. distance learning, books, and DVDs are not something to GAMBLE YOUR LIFE AWAY ON!

Go to a school that is physically near you, and learn there, from an actual instructor. And don't bother asking what school/style to go to. If the only gym near you teaches boxing, then judo and krav maga are just going to have to wait.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Distance Learning Programs   Distance Learning Programs Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:19 pm

So here's one idea. A person with no formal martial arts training enters a tournament. He sees how far he can get, and how the excitement and adrenaline rush affects him. Then he trains with a DVD or online program for six months, and enters another tournament at the same level. The degree of improvement in his performance and behavior will be telling, but realistically, the effectiveness of such training will be different for everyone. Aptitude and commitment play big roles, just as they do in live training.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Distance Learning Programs   Distance Learning Programs Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Distance Learning Programs
Page 1 of 1