Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chemical Superpowers

Go down 
+22
Gauge
Polarman
Atavistik
the crimson fist
Rook
adamm[]
E0N (Inactive)
Black Reaper
Arpenteur
Legacy
arrowdynamic
Silent Defender
Gadgetastic!
DarkShadow
Leviathan
Superman
Blue Rattler
Knight-Hood
Stephen Hannaway
Urban Avenger
Zombie
Archimedes
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Rook

Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Okay, so you're an undergrad. Good that you're getting started in your area of interest at this point. I fell into it after my MA (I wanted to do sleep research, but landed in the neuro lab).

You'll want to contact the behavioral neuroscience departments of a variety of U's and determine what they're looking for in an applicant. My favorites are Western Michigan U (Kalamazoo) and Rutgers (New Jersey). University of California, Irvine has a great reputation as does Arizona State (Tempe). However, last I saw the faculty at ASU will give you great practice in Axis II diagnosing, so beware.

Another word of advice is to start getting very good at grantwriting. Most neuroscience labs are academic. Research I universities meet their bottom line not through tuition, but by research grants. These grants are highly competitive. Tenure, promotion, and sometimes even your salary depends on it. Getting the grant can be a very hostile, backstabbing process and if you're quite good at it, you will be well funded and in high demand among other researchers.

-Rook
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Archimedes

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:48 pm

I am already at a university that has the class though, WKU.
And I had the highest grades in my english class throughout high school because I am hyperlexic, does that help?
Back to top Go down
Stephen Hannaway

Stephen Hannaway

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:54 am

I really hope this works out, I have to admit i'd take them too if they did... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Archimedes

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:42 am

I'll let you know how it goes then
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:38 pm

keep in mind that just because something works like fireworks for one person, it may not work as well, or side-effect free, for you.
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Archimedes

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:06 am

True, for example; it is a stimulant, and I have a drug resistance to stimulants. I am not entirely sure why, but I think it is a cross tolerance from my childhood being filled with powerful and honestly unsafe ADHD medications
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:37 pm

This ongoing controversy is kinda peculiar. I know people keep saying "drug," but it's basically like having this conversation about creatine. Racetams are no big deal.
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Archimedes

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Speking of which, I began aniracetam today. I am enjoying it quite a bit, the mild stimulation makes me feel awake despite my bad night of sleep last night. After my algebra class I will meditate and see if it has any effect on that as well. Music and colors are better and more enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
the crimson fist

the crimson fist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:13 am

Haven't really been following this thread, but found it ironic that I stumbled on it the same day I received my first shipment of Huperzine A in the mail.

Archimedes: Let me know how your Ani works out for you. It's next on my list of nootropics to experiment with.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:15 am

Please let us know how much improvement, if any, you see with Huperzine A.

I tried Aniracetam along with Hydergine, which is supposed to act as a booster. I noticed some feeling of mild irritation that gradually came along with whatever other effects the mixture may have had, so I stopped both.

Never really figured out which of the two might have been responsible... or like with all this stuff, whether it might have just been my imagination.

Piracetam has never caused me any problems at all.
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Archimedes

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:24 am

I like the aniracetam, mild impatience seems to be the only side effect. But I am doing better at my university and can speed read with little to no effort. It worked better if I took it with fish il (since it is lipid soluble) but after a while, it built up in my system enough where I can feel it stimulate me without any kind of oil supplement. Despite the stimulant effects, I can sleep just as easily if not better than before; this is likely due to my insomnia.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:59 am

Speaking of things to take with this stuff, mucuna pruriens is supposed to help and is basically a food, so it's safe.

I take fish, flax, omega-3, and other oil supplements or eat foods with them in it too often to even guess if they make a real difference for this. I'm not sure I know what it's like not to have them in my system.
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Archimedes

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:01 pm

I ordered some Choline Bitartate online, it is supposed to make Aniracetam more efficient and long-lasting.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:09 pm

You might try eating a lot more eggs. I had a goal of eating three a day, which I don't always meet, but I did manage to make eggs a regular part of my diet by having that goal.

Not really fond of them, but they're nutritious and the primary source of choline I know of.
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Archimedes

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:10 pm

I am not a fan of eggs, but I heard that too; but since the supplements are already ordered I am going to go ahead and use them with the aniracetam; I'm also going to stack with 15mg of noopept
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:10 pm

Oh.... I just found out that same thing I saw in some Chinese medicine context -- freezing beef liver and then slicing it into little chunks to take as "pills."

Apparently that's a good source of choline, too.
Back to top Go down
the crimson fist

the crimson fist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:57 pm

Huperzine seems to be working as described, though it's pretty mild thus far. Couldn't resist starting last night, since I hear it's supposed to increase lucid dreaming. Can verify that it did indeed increase vividity of the dreams, I can't say I was truly lucid though. Perhaps another night.

Today I definitely seemed more mentally alert and able to process data more proficiently, but (as Archimedes is noticing with his Ani) I definitely had a bit of an irritable edge today. Not entirely sure if that was the drug or just normal workplace stress, though. Will be making note to keep track of this in the future.

Onward, for Science!
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:28 pm

there has been extensive study into the field of chemically induced "super soldier"-like abilities. long lasting pain killers, performance enhancing pills even experimentation with direct neuro-link to increase man/machine interface more efficient via implanted recievers in the cranium (tho, to my knowledge, the last brekthrough in this involved remote controlling rats by stimulating the pleasure center of their brain when they follow directions)
but the sure way to get better is through training, diet and vitamin/protein supplements. and diligence... and GADGETS dammit!!
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:13 pm

Simple Message

Dont Do Drugs
Back to top Go down
Rook

Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:44 am

Atavistik wrote:
direct neuro-link to increase man/machine interface more efficient via implanted recievers in the cranium (tho, to my knowledge, the last brekthrough in this involved remote controlling rats by stimulating the pleasure center of their brain when they follow directions)

A couple of years ago, MIT developed a small 4-wheeled vehicle that was controlled by rat neurons, essentially a disembodied brain driving a car. It didn't do much, but the potential for development should keep those of us who are interested tuned in.

More interestingly, Neurosky has developed toys and gadgets based on EEG technology. I picked up a small game (at Toys R Us, no less!) that uses your EEGs to control a floating ball, but there's a version that allows you to control your android device. It's mostly for gaming purposes, but I'm sure you can imagine the possibilities.

-Rook
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:52 am

Rook wrote:

More interestingly, Neurosky has developed toys and gadgets based on EEG technology. I picked up a small game (at Toys R Us, no less!) that uses your EEGs to control a floating ball, but there's a version that allows you to control your android device. It's mostly for gaming purposes, but I'm sure you can imagine the possibilities.

-Rook

I am...

*Uses a neural ball-flinger to stop a purse snatcher*
Ha hah! My flying balls attack...

*Stares at a womans ass*
affraid Sorry! That's one place my balls shouldn't have gone....
Back to top Go down
Rook

Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:09 pm

[quote="Leviathan"]
Rook wrote:

*Uses a neural ball-flinger to stop a purse snatcher*
Ha hah! My flying balls attack...

*snicker* Well, the floating balls are actually styrofoam floating on a fan which is controlled via EEG, so the great neuroball crimefighting battles may be a way off.

However, given that it is currently used to control an Android game, it can clearly be used to provide imput to your smartphone. Current smartphone use includes remote control of television, garage-door openers, etc. A smart app programmer could use this to mentally control a variety of things (an army of minion robots springs to mind).

However, the most apt application that comes to me is to apply it for use among quadraplegics to operate various devices without the need of their paralyzed limbs.

-Rook
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:08 pm

Or perhaps even to operate prosthetic limbs.
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:17 pm

that rat-bot, while exhibiting different traits with each new brain, burnt out rather quickly. the challenge is maintaining the brains function and vitality. also; sensory deprivation would most likely cause a previously organic being to become distanced from their humanity and sanity... like Hank Henshaw or Superman in one of the legends of the dead earth annuals back in the nineties....
just a thought
Back to top Go down
pongo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:30 am

I'd take a drug if it made me into 'Captain America' tommorrow, or with the intelligence of the guy from 'Limitless'.
In my opinion, eat protein, train hard and when you need an edge, two cans of rockstar and a packet of biscuits will do it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Superpowers   Chemical Superpowers - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Chemical Superpowers
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next