Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc

Go down 
+6
ZERO
dcguardian
Sonic Eagle
Urban Avenger
Sparrow
kapes13
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Empty
PostSubject: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:34 am

So the question running through my mind is;

For crime fighting and street combat which types of strength are a greater asset to you?

Strength? Agility? Endurance? Speed?

Debate open Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kapes13

kapes13

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:14 am

I don't crime fight, but from I have seen and heard about it seems speed is a great asset to have there. Of course it especially benefits smaller folks too. If bigger or stronger folks have speed they tend to be more clumsy (me).

The transformer toys rate them on these counts. Not sure of the exact ratings for each one but in real life I would also imagine that one person would not have all 4 of them in common.

So, my vote is for speed.

Thanks for asking.

Back to top Go down
kapes13

kapes13

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:15 am

Having speed working with kitties to stay away from sharp claws and teeth helps when they are being tended too, I can say that also.....

Back to top Go down
Sparrow

Sparrow

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:25 am

I would actually consider the most useful aspect of "strength" to be toughness, the ability to take abuse and rhinohide off blows. Just opinion though.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:40 am

endurance, totally. as I've been breaking up street tights on my last few patrols strength isn't so important, as its easy to take someone down if they aren't paying attention. but if your endurance is low you won't be able to keep it up cuz its really stressful and draining on you really quickly. so work on your stamina and endurance, definitely. oh and speed cuz you have to be able to run to the fight when you see it happening.
Back to top Go down
Sonic Eagle

Sonic Eagle

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:35 am

for me I'd have to go with a balance for in one way or another thare are times when say speed and strength are inportent when on others speed and agility or strength and stamina or any other combo is best for the job at hand and pluse lets not forgit intellect and wisdom as well.
Back to top Go down
dcguardian

dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:04 pm

any weapon you have. . .be it. . .strength. . .agility. . .endurance or speed. . .can be taken from you in a heartbeat. . .when a fighter. . .good or bad relies on one over the other they become more dependent and easier to beat. . .learning your own capabilities and limitations can make you the most effective fighter in most any conflict. . .it's not the biggest. . .most agile. . .or the fastest that wins the day. . .it's the one who knows his limits. . .and can think on his feet. . .that can survive most any situation. . .

dc
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:46 pm

kapes13 wrote:
Having speed working with kitties to stay away from sharp claws and teeth helps when they are being tended too, I can say that also.....

I have a five month old kitten who has been nicknamed Rocket and Ricochet. Kapes, I fully agree with the above statement lol

For someone like me, speed is very useful. I can't hit hard. Unless I'm whacking Silver for some smartalecky comment he made...Then I can hit him pretty hard for some reason... lol!
Back to top Go down
ZERO

ZERO

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:25 pm

High Strength is actually the least important of these, any tactical strategist would tell you that. I'd say a combo of endurance and speed would be key.

But mostly situations aren't won by show of force, but with distraction or circumstantial maneuvering.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:34 pm

Spot on Z. Doesn't it make you feel all warm and fuzzy to contribute in a positive way? Smile
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Neutral

Yes... endurance. Speed is also important, primarily explosive speed or the ability to sprint. My two cents, anyway... a modicum of strength will come with developing the other stuff.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:04 pm

I am not laughing at Mega -typing "endurance"

I am not I am not I am not.

Anything goes away if you can't last.

Endurance and brains will still be standing if anything will
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:20 pm

Hey, I'm letting some damaged batteries dry out over here so I can lick them tomorrow afternoon to see if they still possess "the juice." I don't have time to be laughed at.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:30 pm

let me know how the lick goes
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:58 pm

I go with Strong. But that's my "Strong" point. No pun intended.
I have enough training in Martial arts & defense tactics & such and you need that too, but I've always been a Gym rat.

What's your Strong point? That's what you should refine. everyone has a area they will be better with.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:25 am

SH, how much cardio do you do every day?
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:41 am

A lot.
I was about to say I agree you can't really depend on one area, I'm all about strength, But this year I dropped 25 Lbs. and went from powerlifting shape where I was deadlifting in the 400's back down to a weight where I could be a little quicker, & use some of my Fighting/ Wrestling skills better. I "Anticipated some Hand to hand" was coming my way & leaned out, then just decided to stay there.

See.
230Lbs.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
205Lbs.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

some of my maxes are not as high as weight & strength are relative, but now I feel that I'd be better able to slip in on a guy & put a school boy on him & sinch him up.

A couple of years ago I tossed a guy across a room at a party. Now I couldn't toss him as far put I'd be able to do something with him when I got him there. Laughing I do alot more cardio For endurance & a LOT of kettlebells to get my explosive power up.

A mix serves you best.

Last edited by Superhero on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:48 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Changed top Pic to show how bulky I was before lean out.)
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:45 am

Actually if we could coax you into it sometime I'd be interested in hearing about your training... or even just your generic advice for training if you want to be humble and not intimidate us.

Razz
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:50 am

How high do you get your heart rate and for how many minutes, please?
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:01 am

@Mega:

well, It's nothing really spectacular. I hit the Gym 5 days a week, take weekends off. do each body part once a week. The older you get the more important recovery becomes is the reason for that.

Nowdays We do a TON of reps, with quasi-heavy weight, or we do a Super-set of heavy light heavy light. Timmy & I train pretty intense for old guys, (Ask Symbiote) but we know all maxing out is gonna to at this stage of the game is hurt us & all the reps helps endurance too.

we're very old school, most all our excersizes come out of Arnold's encyclopedia.
We usually do Push pull, like Chest & tris (Push) one day & back & bis (pull) the next. break hams & quads up with Bells & shoulders.
The kettlebells we mostly learned on youtube & from Eddie Robinson.

70% of it is eating, I try to keep my protien high, you should get a gram per pound of body weight but I realistically get about 150 grams a day. I think I'm as massive as I'm gonna get and all those extra grams would just make me fat. Your digestion slows down too with age.

But the biggest part is dedication, just getting in there. And all of you that I've met already have that going on so your there. Just keep hitting it & ask questions. Read up too, when i was a kid i had a stack of Muscle & fittness magazines.

Last edited by Superhero on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:02 am

@Flora: no clue...It's not really a concern for me. i think like 120 or 130 BPM depending what I'm doing.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:09 am

me so blah blah, yes, I know
but I'll type this, here I go:

1. twice a week at any age.
muscles weaken after four days of rest.

what you call "old guys" is just waiting too long between lifts.

I do not recommend 3x per week for any but the most beginner.

2. ANY exercise is better than none ( see pic above)
but precise is best

the only one that i reject is "military press"

3. too much protien doesn't make you fat. it isn't fuel - it isn't stored.
the kidneys have to remove it and they hate that
precise protien, low fat and loads of carbs will swell you and energize and heal

4. digestion doesn't slow with age.
it slows with dehydration and lack of sleep
and
meat needs Vit "C" to break it down, yes, pills are fine if you can't get it with food
and it has to go down with the meat

Yes, I know that I am a yawn
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:27 pm

Whatever. And what pic? I don't see one.

This is why i usually don't post under the training threads though because nobody agrees on theory of what to do. And even if they did Every body is different (meso, Ecto, endo, etc) I'm 42 years old & have been training for 25 of them, I have a CPT cert as well. I do what has worked well for me & people can try or disguard it.

any way back on topic The best blend of strength & agility will work best for this type of work. I lean more towards strong.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:44 pm

Thanks for the information. I need to work on muscle and tendon strength a bit (okay a lot) more aggressively than I have in the past, so it's helpful.
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:53 pm

No sweat, Don't worry about the missing pec either.

You know who Anthony Sulivan is? he's the guy who sells stuff on TV. He worked alot with Billy Mays.

I know him, he's missing a pec & he's a great athelete, (Wind surfing champ of some kind if I remember) It won't hold you back at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next