Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

martial art styles

Go down 
+20
Polarman
Sleepless
Blue Alpha
Gauge
Dark Guardian
JohnDoe
Psyphon
TheCheshireCat
Zimmer
Justice258
Prof. Midnight
Midnite Detective
dcguardian
Citizen
Flora V. Arbor
Red Dragon
Superhero
Equal
E0N (Inactive)
NightAngel
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Prof. Midnight

Prof. Midnight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

martial art styles - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:33 pm

I guess I should have mentioned the afore mentioned individual did totally shut me down in a sparring matched I was using kenpo karate. It opened my eyes to the usefulness of TCC in combat. It's the push hands training. At higher levels, it is very useful. But, you'll just have to take my word.Smile
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:06 pm

word
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:30 pm

I love how everything I say, proof is demanded of me, and then I am disregarded. People write hear say bull, and everyone gets uptight when I point out it is as such.

Do what you want. Dark Guardian has consistently agreed with me in this thread...is he also a know nothing, unconfirmed, internet troll? Or the biggest name with the most martial arts experience in the thread? Hmm.

Screw it, enjoy being stabbed. No skin off my back.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:34 pm

No, but no ones worked with you, you're not established. Prof. Midnight is establiished, verified legitimate RLSH. You can guess who I would trust.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:25 am

Nemesis wrote:
I love how everything I say, proof is demanded of me, and then I am disregarded. People write hear say bull, and everyone gets uptight when I point out it is as such.

Do what you want. Dark Guardian has consistently agreed with me in this thread...is he also a know nothing, unconfirmed, internet troll? Or the biggest name with the most martial arts experience in the thread? Hmm.

Screw it, enjoy being stabbed. No skin off my back.

Using Tai Chi instead of punches against the mentally challenged is pretty darned good
and, I stand by my animal example:

ME HAVE BLACK BELT. ME PUT MEDICINE IN KITTY AND NOT HURT KITTY.

WAAA HAAA.

Nemesis, i will type that for any good points you might have made,
you make them with so little charm and commpassion that your ability to inspire was, dramatically, challenged
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:23 am

Trust whoever you want. It doesn't make bullshit fighting arts any less bullshit. You do your thing. I have nothing to do but laugh, although I admit it is a little dark to do so.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:31 am

I am assuming, Nemesis, that you are typing to me.

"Dark" is not the same and "harsh", "unpleasent", "filthy- mouthed",
"unnecessarily insulting" and "smug".

I trust no one. If you are grouping your answer to me with your
answer to Urban Avenger, your communication is very sloppy.

Can you offer an example of your ideas being tested?
Will you offer an example of your ideas being tested?

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:59 am

...you know who I would not want to fight?

Midnight Detective.

He's big.
He got hit LOADS as a child.
He works or has worked in nursing homes.
So, he moves bodies daily and must recognize what the person cannot
fake
and has done it for a black-belt period of time.

( but I'd waste him with cardio if I just keep backing up until he can't pick up his arms which wouldn't be long.)

...and I'd not want to fight ML because he goes out looking for trouble
so often ( and finds it ).
He has Math on his side.

ML would not leave his home turf making his knowledge would act in his favor.

Dark Guardian would be a fun few rounds.
It would be good and complex
but I do not think that he could do what the guys in
"Bad Lads Army" do.

I don't think that Dark Guardian is a person who's first strike is
to fear.

I think that he assesses a lot first and then,
thinks in long sentences.

I would fear Midnight Detective's first strike and would need to stay at the edge of reach
and in control of the emotions of the conversation at all times.

For the vast majority of people, though...I do eight times 18 stories of stairs
and landscaping...

I mop so many people with cardio, alone,
that i have to tell you to...CARDIO!

(After watching all the 9-11 stuff last week, I am RANTING on the power of cardio
and
cardio is SERIOUS when it comes to defending your selves or just fighting!!)
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:28 am

Whatever dude, you crack me up.
Back to top Go down
Prof. Midnight

Prof. Midnight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:48 am

Again, I should point out, I don't feel that TCC should be used by its self. Its skills should be used with other arts. Even Bruce Lee studied TCC and incorporated a bit of it into JKD.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:13 am

I wonder how many of these arts were created by people who were looking for a completely useless way to defend themselves...I bet NONE of them were...and the fact that they have stood the test of time says something about the effectiveness of the arts. I will argue that its not the ART that is at issue, but the practitioner of the art.

People want something handed to them fast and easy. They want to be able to pull up to a drive thru window and get their black belt and then go kick bootay...it doesnt work like that.

If you want to know which art is most effective I'll give you the advice given me at the Department of Corrections Academy when this same subject was brought up.

The best martial art is the one you have studied and learned that enables you to defend yourself successfully when the shit hits the fan!

In other words...if you have enough skill to walk away from a fight without a major injury then it doesnt matter what belt you have, what philosophy you follow, or what art you have studied.

If you want to gain the most from a martial art then stop taking the "fast food" training and hoping it makes you ready and learn how to cook yourself. In other words, do some research into the art you are studying. Find out as much as you can about its history. study the mechanics of each movement in the katas. Practice, practice, and practice some more.

Be unconventional. I recently challenged someone who said they could disarm a knife weilding opponent to prove it by having someone attack him with a magic marker and try not to get marked on. It tooks several weeks of trying before he managed to get the marker away without getting "cut" and to my knowledge he hasnt done it since. A similar drill using a water pistol has proven how difficult it would be to disarm a person armed with a pistol.

And if you are depending on one art to teach you everything then you are a fool. Life is a never ending series of learning experiences and you have to continue to grow or you will fall behind. What works today will not necessarily work next week...In the drills I mentioned above BOTH training partners got better...the "knife" weilder learned how to counter the unarmed persons techniques while the unarmed person was learning to counter the person with the "knife."

Hit the heavy bag....run...do cardio...spar...do katas...do one steps...do whatever it takes to keep yourself learning...watch videos...read books...read magazines...and stop arguing about the pot being blacker than the kettle...

because...in the end...it wont matter who studied the right martial art...it will matter who studied their martial art right!
Back to top Go down
Midnite Detective

Midnite Detective

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:51 am

Flora V. Arbor wrote:

Midnight Detective.

Nah, I'm fragile. A lover, not a fighter.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Midnite Detective

Midnite Detective

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:01 am

I was a CNA mostly on Alzheimer's and behavioral unites for eight year.
I also worked a psych ward in Missouri for about a year. It got shut down it was a hellhole.
There were some healthy and aggressive men in there, a few my size and one who was larger. It was a learning experience. I came out of there with a lot of practice in choke holds, come alongs, and a healthy respect for the human teeth.
Back to top Go down
Midnite Detective

Midnite Detective

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:35 am

Oh, and Flora.
I wouldn't chase you. If we needed to fight you'd come to me. I choose my battleground when I can. Smile If I had to go distance, I'd just have to pick up something big and throw it at you really, really, really hard.
If you suck at running after the little guys, you find all sorts of other ways to hit the guy from the distance. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:40 pm

Cardio doesn't win street fights. Most street fights are over in 30 seconds. No rounds. No ref. No corner to go back to.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:42 pm

When I finally start carrying around guns I had intended to name them "Betty" and "Veronica," but now I might have to go with "Cardio."
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:55 pm

Midnite Detective wrote:
Oh, and Flora.
I wouldn't chase you. If we needed to fight you'd come to me. I choose my battleground when I can. Smile If I had to go distance, I'd just have to pick up something big and throw it at you really, really, really hard.
If you suck at running after the little guys, you find all sorts of other ways to hit the guy from the distance. Razz
See? I'd not fight you!
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Nemesis wrote:
Cardio doesn't win street fights. Most street fights are over in 30 seconds. No rounds. No ref. No corner to go back to.

Girl, when your clean little college behind has been homeless a few times like many of us here have been,
come tell your stories.

You'd not last a week in a nursing home job
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:57 pm

E0N wrote:
When I finally start carrying around guns I had intended to name them "Betty" and "Veronica," but now I might have to go with "Cardio."

WAAAHAAA!
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:58 pm

Midnite Detective wrote:
Flora V. Arbor wrote:

Midnight Detective.

Nah, I'm fragile. A lover, not a fighter.
Very Happy

You're maulable!
Amazonia said so!
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Midnite Detective wrote:
I was a CNA mostly on Alzheimer's and behavioral unites for eight year.
I also worked a psych ward in Missouri for about a year. It got shut down it was a hellhole.
There were some healthy and aggressive men in there, a few my size and one who was larger. It was a learning experience. I came out of there with a lot of practice in choke holds, come alongs, and a healthy respect for the human teeth.

Nemesis, could you do eight years of the above?
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:03 pm

Waste of time, he's perfect the way he is.
Back to top Go down
Sleepless

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:12 pm

....This is pathetic, if you don't like someone ignore them, if they're being a cunt just to get attention then they'll eventually do something to get themselves banned. I mean I see a bunch of people ganging up on someone because they have opinions, some of which I happen to agree with by the way. For the record I don't really like Nemesis either, nothing personal, but I notice when it came to ML ganging up on him in every thread was such an evil thing and I hate double standards.

Cardio isn't important in a street fight as they are usually over very quickly, it's important in being a RLSH/XALT/Whatever the fuck it is this week however I mean if you can't make pursuit that's pretty much it for fighting crime. If you want to do out reach and inspire people go for it and hope to be in the right place at the right time once or twice.

I've been homeless twice by the way and I didn't have the luxury of being fully grown the first time. You wanna know how you win a real street fight? You get the best fucking weapon you can and kill the other person before they kill you, that's how it works it's not about who can last longer, it's not about who's got the best technique, it's about who's lucky enough to be near a weapon.

I always hear people talking about how they learned to fight on the streets but in reality they learn to fight in a fucking survey or a ghetto or heaven forbid a suburb.

While I've never worked in a psych ward, I been in one before, nothing like having someone kick your ass for fun for 6 months, no one believing you because you suffer from paranoia, and then they decide you're hurting yourself so you get strapped into bed every night which keeps you from even trying to protect yourself. Not really relevant, I'm just pointing out my dislike of your average orderly.

And why the fuck does the verification thing always come up, it's like proof that you have no other way to argue, DG was agreeing with him/her and he's probably the most verified expert on Martial arts in this community. Therefore he/she doesn't matter in the long run anyways given the person who's opinion you should care about has already agreed with him/her.

And for the love of god do not depend on Tai Chi to defend yourself, you will fucking die, I don't care what anyone has to say, you will die it's that simple. Actually you know what depending on martial arts in general is a bad idea, if you're fat or other wise out of shape you'll still lose to an experienced fighter no matter what "technique" you use. Condition your body and find someone to spar with, if you get hurt deal with it, if you can't stick to community service.

Why the fuck did I bother typing this it's not like anyone is going to take the advice.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:38 pm

I've seen a fair share of experienced guys get stomped by guys they "should've" been able to beat. Underestimating another's ability is just as bad as overestimating your own. Tai Chi is a perfectly valid form of self defense, and can be effective in the hands of an experienced practitioner. It just takes longer to master the combat applications to make them truly effective.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:24 pm

"Tai Chi is a perfectly valid form of self defense, and can be effective in the hands of an experienced practitioner."

Right there, that should open you to more questions about your validity than anything I have ever said about me. No one with real training would believe it.

And I fail to see how me not being homeless affects my fighting skill. I pay my own bills, including paying for my training that does not take place on youtube (how would you watch youtube while homeless, I wonder) and I don't feel as though failing to do so would improve my technique.

Everyone wants to have the toughest story, the most interesting background, and swear up and down they have the skills. It's bull, and anyone with real training knows it.

Do the work. Pretending bullshit combat styles work...maybe you win the argument on here, if only because most of you apparently are in this camp...but you lose when reality strikes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 9 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

martial art styles
Page 9 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next