Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime

Go down 
+9
Silver Sentinel
Gauge
hiddensparrow
patchwork
Polarman
C
E0N (Inactive)
Instructor
Zimmer
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Empty
PostSubject: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:41 pm

I just started a new blog, The Zimmer Files, where I'll be going over all kinds of resources for RLSH and beyond.

Check out my first post, The Future of Combating Crime, where I go over my recent creation of crime maps that span 386 crimes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:48 pm

Nice!
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:09 pm

I like this approach... basically being able to look at an area and say "the most common crime around here is burglary."

I'm a little surprised by how many areas on your map have the most common crime of "shooting," though.

:/
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:13 pm

There's a pretty sharp contrast between the hipster west Brooklyn and the shoot-and-kill-you east Brooklyn. The former, you might get your iPhone stolen, the latter, be ready to duck.

Also, there are newspapers that cover smaller crimes in west Brooklyn, whereas in east Brooklyn, the crime reporting isn't as common.

And lastly, if you're going to break into an apartment or mug someone, you're going to hop on the subway and go to the rich part of town.

My thoughts on that, anyways.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:16 pm

Public transportation is so convenient.
Back to top Go down
C

C

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:22 pm

Nice work Zimmer.

Such maps would also be useful to new RLSH, who would probably want to avoid areas where shooting occurs a lot for example, on their first many patrols.

I'm thinking, maybe a little instruction on how you created that map, would be useful to RLSH in other areas.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:28 pm

I used BatchGeo, it's stupid simple, just time consuming. It took me awhile to track down the data across three reporting sites, then integrate them into a spreadsheet. After that it's just copy and paste and the program does the rest. It's even free.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:28 pm

It's the proportions that surprised me.

There are places in Oakland, Richmond, etc. that have a lot of shooting incidents, but not generally in higher percentages than theft. It seems almost contrary to human nature/typical criminals having a profit + least effort expended motive.

My guess would be there are a lot of thefts in those areas not getting reported compared to shootings.

Eh, well... it is what it is.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Or gang vs. gang stuff, I guess. Those are generally isolated incidents on this coast.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:35 pm

I wish we had public transportation up here It would be easier for people with disabilites or small children to get around
Back to top Go down
patchwork

patchwork

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:35 pm

Chicago pd has this kind of thing up on their website, needs to be updated though.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Check out my new blog post on the Zimmer Files: Mapping Crime by Time of Day

Features six new maps of NYC crime, showing you when Brooklyn neighborhoods are most dangerous, where and when street robberies take place and whether your apartment is more likely to be broken into during the day or at night.

Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Zimmer wrote:
I just started a new blog, The Zimmer Files, where I'll be going over all kinds of resources for RLSH and beyond.

Check out my first post, The Future of Combating Crime, where I go over my recent creation of crime maps that span 386 crimes.

*bookmarks it*

Awesome! Thank you so much!! Can't wait to read. Very Happy \m/

~HS.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:16 pm

Thank you!

My two new posts are:

Mapping Vehicle Crimes:
This is great for mapping car thefts, as they are likely done by career criminals due to te complexity (car break-ins are mapped too).

Brooklyn Crime: January 2012, Week One:
This is the first part of a series of articles where I go through the collected data week by week. This also introduces maps that color code crime by day of the week to show the most criminal (weekends) and the safest days (Wednesdays). I also show weekend crime vs week day crime.

Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:40 pm

Zimmer wrote:
Thank you!

My two new posts are:

Mapping Vehicle Crimes:
This is great for mapping car thefts, as they are likely done by career criminals due to te complexity (car break-ins are mapped too).

Brooklyn Crime: January 2012, Week One:
This is the first part of a series of articles where I go through the collected data week by week. This also introduces maps that color code crime by day of the week to show the most criminal (weekends) and the safest days (Wednesdays). I also show weekend crime vs week day crime.

Brilliant!

If I wasn't so busy enjoying the weather and shopping around for necessary "patrol" gear, I'd be building up a map like this for my own hometown!

**Wonders if BlackHat has got something like this built up already?** study

Cheers and thanks again for the awesome inspiration,

~HS.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:51 pm

While many free apps will show where crime occurs and will differentiate by type, I really like the idea of day of week and time of day for each crime. Sweet work, although the map wouldn't load for me.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:18 pm

The maps load for my iPhone, but they are easier to view and interact with on a PC. I've heard Macs are glitchy about displaying them also.
Back to top Go down
Silver Sentinel

Silver Sentinel

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:20 pm

You're a good man, Zimmer. Thanks for this.
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:44 pm

There's still crimereports.com if your phone or android tablet is capable of displaying flash.

There's info that goes back six months. And while it doesn't help you chart trends, it will still give you all the info you could want going that far back (sortable and selectable crimes, time and date, and in some cases rudimentary info about a call, plus registered offenders with fliers)
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Their coverage can be spotty. Some places don't have anything more than registered offenders. A good source for data, though, when used alongside others.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Where are you getting your updated information? Is it just from police website? I really like the time of day and day of week breakdown. Crime mapping also helps new RLSH decide what type of RLSH they want to be. What a great resource.

BTW: I wonder if you could post info on the best police and EMS scanners.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:34 pm

I pull from Brooklyn Paper, NY Post and Spotcrime.

I'm glad you like the maps. Once I finish the weekly and monthly demos, I'm switching to a new type of software to breakdown and visualize city data.
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:36 pm

@Zimmer: We use [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] over here. Is that where you get your data from?
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:54 pm

Brooklyn Paper, NY Post and SpotCrime.
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:11 pm

Zimmer wrote:
Brooklyn Paper, NY Post and SpotCrime.

Cool.

Good to know.

I hope that the site I mentioned helps you as well.

Cheers! Cool \/

~HS. :>
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime   The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

The Zimmer Files: The Future of Combating Crime
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next