Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dodging and Fighting from Range

Go down 
+7
arrowdynamic
Ace
pongo
omen
The Black Stampede
Shade
Gauge
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:49 pm

Do you patrol the forests in the middle of no where? If so, seeking to find what? Seriously, i cannot find the relevance in dodging a bow in a urban, or even suburban environment.  Rocks, bottles and stuff, sure yeah absolutely.  But this isn't a movie where you are going to have a duel with some other "archer"..
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:17 pm

Urban Avenger wrote:
Do you patrol the forests in the middle of no where? If so, seeking to find what? Seriously, i cannot find the relevance in dodging a bow in a urban, or even suburban environment.  Rocks, bottles and stuff, sure yeah absolutely.  But this isn't a movie where you are going to have a duel with some other "archer"..
I have duels with archers all the time playing archery tag.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:18 pm

What relevance does that have with fighting crime or patrolling?
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:15 pm

I have lots of practice so if it ever happens I would win.

Oh and also, people look up to people with skills.

Phoenix jones, hated as he is, gets props from a lot of people for his MMA skills and ability to leg press 700 pounds.

Archery is my skill that people will know me for. See how much respect Lars Anderson got for his archery videos?
It doesn't matter if I will be walking around dueling dark archers.
As I don't carry the bow its an asinine point.
For someone to simply know that I am an expert archer, that should allow for enough respect to me, for people to know I am not just some nerd larper who is going to walk around handing out cookies to homeless people that I didn't even bake.

When you think of a superhero, that hero has a skill.
They don't walk around in less shape then the people they are confronting, with less skill than that person they are trying to deal with.
Yet that's what happens all the time with RLSH, people throw on costumes and pretend they are awesome.

Archery combat like archery tag trains you to take cover, have fast reflexes, and of course to shoot a bow under pressure. If ever something serious happens where I need to take my bow out I know I can use it. Likely this will never happen, to be sure. But if someone is shooting up one of the stores where I work killing people I will surely grab one of the bows off the racks and use cover to take down the shooter.

Being nice isn't a skill. Being nice is a prerequisite to be an okay person. But without real skills I don't think you are truly inspiring.
Regardless this is conjecture. I will never be running around with a bow shooting people as it is illegal. But still potential gunmen should know that I have more accuracy with my bow then most ganstas would have with a handgun from 50 meters away.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:19 pm

There is always going to be someone stronger, faster and smarter than you. And probably mire skills at something.  Archery is a nice skill yes, but it doesn't do you much good in a street fight. Still, keep your skills sharp whatever they are.
Back to top Go down
Shade

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:39 am

arrowdynamic wrote:

...For someone to simply know that I am an expert archer, that should allow for enough respect to me, for people to know I am not just some nerd larper who is going to walk around handing out cookies to homeless people that I didn't even bake.

With respect sir, the people who do that aren't doing it to improve what others think of them, they're doing it to feed someone who is homeless and vulnerable. That makes whether they baked the food themselves or not largely irrelevant.

Consider; Skills don't make people heroic. Heroic actions do.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:02 am

if your are going to hand out food to the homeless, I recommend something with nutrition. Perhaps fruit. Also it should be in a sealed container. So they don't think you are feeding them funny cookies.

That said feeding the homeless is great, I used to cook breakfast for a homeless shelter. But I don't do it in costume. There's no need to wear a costume for that.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:06 am

Shade wrote:
Quote :

Consider; Skills don't make people heroic. Heroic actions do.

additionally, I am far more inspired by champions like Georges St. Pierre, Sidney Crosby, Rafael Nadal... etc etc
then I am of my fellow helpers at the homeless shelter.

Its worth noting the kind of respect you get with having immense skill makes it easier to help people like the homeless (most have huge charity funds), but that may just be because you usually end up rich.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:07 am

I actually recommend mixing the fruit with high-calorie stuff. They need all the calories they can get, trust me.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:11 am

I love it when people come in demanding respect.

I can do hand stand push ups on my index fingers, respect me.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:57 pm

indeed if you could demonstrate that I would gave more respect for you.
clearly a lot of work would have been require to get to that point.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:02 pm

Yeah exactly my point.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:25 pm

Shooting arrows well is not worthy of respect. No skill is. What you DO with those skills may perhaps earn you some respect, however. Saying that you would win an archery duel because you play archery tag is kind of silly. Do you win every time? Are you the worlds greatest archer? And the odds of ever being in such a situation are infinitesimal.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:33 pm

Thank you! 

Why is this so hard?
Back to top Go down
Ace

Ace

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:46 pm

That and most people wont respect you as an RLSH just because you are good at archery, more than likely they'll just criticize you as a "wannabe Green Arrow/HawkEye".
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:47 pm

Yup!
Back to top Go down
The Black Stampede

The Black Stampede

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:34 pm

Ace wrote:
That and most people wont respect you as an RLSH just because you are good at archery, more than likely they'll just criticize you as a "wannabe Green Arrow/HawkEye".
Probably because they most often are.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:20 am

If you want respect around here, handing out cookies while larping is a very good start.
Back to top Go down
omen

omen

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:03 pm

Arrowdynamic -

"Respect is a gift to be given and a present to be earned."

Being a hero is not about skill, patrolling, or handing out food; being a hero is merely the concept that drives these actions while in reality it is much more. Being a hero starts with challenge then delivers failure, gives birth to enlightenment, and matures in resolve while using courage as its primary tool and inspiration as it badge.

It is a lonely journey, at times, as well a subtly addictive one, once the benefits are felt within one’s soul.

Being a hero is NOT limited to patrolling and handing out food, as I stated earlier and in so many of my other posts. You are in an environment in which those two actions are the chosen methods that are used. There is nothing wrong with that and they are relating your entire conversation to these actions… in effect, making your entire premise, ‘less than debatable’ at the most.

In this sense, they are correct in their stance.

Being a hero is ultimately about helping others… PERIOD. From this, your true challenge is born. Forget the conversation of respect and ask yourself how can I use my skills with archery to help others.

Have you considered donating your time to a non-profit organization that teaches children new skills and sports? Have you tried sharing the history of archery with those that visit the museum?  Have you thought about organizing a meet-up for those seeking this skill, as a form of meditation and escape from the burdens of life? I know it works, because I've seen people change when they went shooting for the first time.

Archery has a deep and enriching background whether used in reality of fantasy. It has aided war and uplifted those with doubt. One may not be good at sports, art, or science… but what you have the ability to offer them is another path to learn something about themselves.

This is what being a hero is truly about. It is about bringing something to another that may help them through their darkness. It can be the presence of a patrol, a bag of food, a cute story with a deep moral at the end, or a new skill to help them focus on something OTHER than the hell in their lives.

Asking for respect creates just as much animosity as demanding it verbally. Respect is something that is preciously handed out, especially in today’s ‘ME-culture’. It is easier to get sarcasm, frustration, a ‘brush-off’, and hate than it is to gain understanding. This is one of the sad effects of the internet age.

If you want respect, then give it through your thoughts; think outside the box and lead off with the constant theme of being a hero by helping others. Intention means very little when placed on the balance scale against actions. Get out there and get involved in sharing what you have to offer. It does NOT have to be butt-kicking, patrolling, or feeding the homeless… it can be sharing art, doing streetside comedy, teaching kids how to fix a car, bringing grocery to the elderly… or even, offering an escape for the hardworking everyday employee by bringin them to a meet-up on the edge of town to teach them how to string a bow.

-Omen, “Heroes aren’t made during good times!” – The Elite Forces Division
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:22 pm

couldn't have said it better my self.
Back to top Go down
omen

omen

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:44 pm

I apologize for all of my typos and mistakes in the last post. I was in a rush to leave when I wrote it earlier. I have not figured out how to go back and edit a comment/response that I have previously posted.

In fact, I'm not sure if it is even possible.

-Omen
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:45 pm

No it's not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:12 pm

^ You should fix that then. plz.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:27 pm

People abuse it. It used to be a feature then it was removed by the previous admin.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:56 pm

Make it time-limited then? Like only for an hour?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Dodging and Fighting from Range
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next