Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Crime Fighting Practice

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Crime Fighting Practice Empty
PostSubject: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:40 pm

Everyone needs practice....We've all seen the X-Men in the Danger Room or Batman and Robin practicing in the Batcave.

What do you do for fighting practice? Do you have any tips? Is there anything that you want to learn?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:44 pm

I'm looking at a Krav Maga school near me for practical self-defense. But first I'm going to get back into shape so I can make the most of it.
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:49 pm

Training, martial arts, competitive fighting, parkour.

I may start training with a couple RLSH regularly. I work at a martial arts school so I can use it during the off hours.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:52 pm

What kept me from doing the hero thing was a thyroid problem, which is now getting fixed. Now that I'm able to work out and have it actually do something, I'm working my butt off to get into shape.

I like kick-boxing, I've done a little karate, and I've done a little of this, little of that. Right now I tend to just run as a work out.

I'd like to get together with a few people and do some group training.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:48 am

Last edited by Phoenix on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:54 am

I am still looking for something. I have 7 years of Tae Kwon Do experience, and a black belt, but TKD doesn't help you out in the streets.

Once I find some free time, hopefully during this summer, I am going to start swimming, but I am also going to try to learn some of the self defense moves I've learned.

I'm a poor college kid as it is, I don't need to be giving my money to other people if I can find make shift ways of doing it myself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Phoenix wrote:
Kerberos,

Don't get in shape for Krav. Krav will get you in shape. Just do it.

That's good advice. I suspect I'll end up doing that. I'm too anxious to wait! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:43 pm

Hey Kerb in the Krav Maga class I do there a couple of rather large people. You don't need to be fit to do Krav Maga. In my opinion Krav Maga is possibly the most ideal combat hand to hand/self defense training for any rlsh. You learn things you can't learn in boxing or martial arts. I do boxing also but personally Krav has everything you need for violent conflict resolution.

Let's face it if someone pulls a knife on you a karate kick won't cut it LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:49 pm

... In that case, I'll look for a place that does it around here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:41 am

~
Depends on your body type and current condition, I think. Phoenix advocates doing Krav Maga to get in shape, which may work for you. Some people need to get in shape just to handle the Krav Maga, I think.

Personally, I'm leaning toward Brazilian Jujitsu; less about power or "hard" style force than smart utilization of your strengths verses theirs. But that's my take.
~
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:21 am

Actually, if anything, I may want to look back into Hapkido or Judo. I think something like that with a more passive way of fighting (basically using the force of the attacker against them to throw them off guard), is my type of work, and doing locks and holds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:51 am

i practice loose fist and basic shadow boxing. nothing serious. but so far, none have beaten it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:23 am

I don't know if judo etc teaches you how to disarm someone but we are doing that in Krav at the minute. Different technics to disarm someone who has pulled a knife to you, how to bock a slash without getting cut, how to escape and disarm someone from behind with a knife to your throat. It's all basic body movents to use an attackers body against them. I really do believe for anyone involved in actual physical crime fighting Krav Maga is essential.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:57 pm

thesentinel wrote:
I don't know if judo etc teaches you how to disarm someone but we are doing that in Krav at the minute. Different technics to disarm someone who has pulled a knife to you, how to bock a slash without getting cut, how to escape and disarm someone from behind with a knife to your throat. It's all basic body movents to use an attackers body against them. I really do believe for anyone involved in actual physical crime fighting Krav Maga is essential.

Well during my Tae Kwon Do years we had one or two days a month on Judo, and I had fun with it, I'm short, and stocky, and have a good center of balance (on both feet). It'll help with not really disarming anyone, but keeping them under control.

Hapkido, when i learned when I changed schools to Florida as I still continued to learn TKD as the main thing, does help disarm, but uses the body weight of the offender against them. Like they are charging at you with a knife, you step with them so they lose their balance then once off guard, you toss them in another direction....

... or so they taught me. I could be completely off point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:29 pm

Raven wrote:
What do you do for fighting practice? Do you have any tips? Is there anything that you want to learn?

1. I spar.

2. Spar as often as you can. Namely full contact with full protective gear.

3. I dunno about anyone else, but I will most likely never stop learning or wanting to learn

Also- Because I am so benevolent, I've decided to aid you all in your quest to better understand what MA style may work for you.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I just saved you ALL days of questions and discussion.

You can thank me later.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:20 pm

Null the Topic killer! LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:22 pm

Heh...I'm the topic nullifier, if you will Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Sun May 31, 2009 12:27 am

I have an old canvas heavy bag that i have punched and kicked for hours. Grappling is best practiced with a real opponent. Free weights are great for building muscle. Never underestimate the impact of good cardio fitness and flexibility. Find a good starting stance. Practice what works for your body type and level of physical ability.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1Sun May 31, 2009 1:39 am

Raven wrote:
What kept me from doing the hero thing was a thyroid problem, which is now getting fixed. Now that I'm able to work out and have it actually do something, I'm working my butt off to get into shape.

I like kick-boxing, I've done a little karate, and I've done a little of this, little of that. Right now I tend to just run as a work out.

I'd like to get together with a few people and do some group training.

I am all for training comrade... let me know when ever you want to get together and train.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crime Fighting Practice   Crime Fighting Practice Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Crime Fighting Practice
Page 1 of 1