Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?

Go down 
+19
Gadgetastic!
Zimmer
DarkShadow
Bridges
kapes13
Proteus
Sentinel
Boosterman
Rebound
Vampireto!
Polarman
Gauge
Artisteroi
SkyMan
Idea Man
Flora V. Arbor
E0N (Inactive)
The Grey Man
DRock
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:21 pm

Nunchuck skills, computer hacking skills... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:41 am

SkyMan wrote:
Reading some classical philosophy; Descart, Bertrand Russell, Nietzche, etc.

Started doing 10 situps three times a day recently!

Not a lot currently really... hate putting my life on hold to be my Dads primary caregiver. But I am the only child and we have no money so then it was a nessacity.

Being your dad's caregiver gives you a home for a while, yes?

That isn't all bad but most places have nurses you have come once a week or so to help.

You can get a different type of nurse and get more than one visit perweek.

An exercise nurse one day, a meds nurse another day, a bathing nurse...

PLEASE only do situps twice a week and do crunches instead of sit ups.

It you have one of those rolly-handle thingys where you kneel and roll out and back, that is good twice a week.

patting your self in the tummy and squeezing like you are going to sneeze is good every other days

but just 8 times, rest and 8 times again.

We cannot speed up healing even though we can gain in strength

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:43 am

Gauge wrote:

I love chucks

I've been doing them since 1876
I prefer two, matching ones.

Brain research shows that doubling stimulates BOTH hemispheres of the brain
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:04 am

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
Gauge wrote:

I love chucks

I've been doing them since 1876
I prefer two, matching ones.

Brain research shows that doubling stimulates BOTH hemispheres of the brain

1876?! Damn you are old!
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:18 am

blah

typing sleepy!
Back to top Go down
SkyMan

SkyMan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks for the exercise advice Flora... I consider you my personal trainer and all-around exercise guru... if thats ok. As for nurses coming in to see Dad... that would be awesome except for the part about Meidcare not paying for such things.... I am getting some respite care soon, but we jsut learned that Dad may have to have another surgery so we are taking a one day at at ime approach.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:44 pm

SkyMan wrote:
I am getting some respite care soon, but we jsut learned that Dad may have to have another surgery so we are taking a one day at at ime approach.

I salute you for taking care of your dad.
I know it's not easy, and it can be damn frustrating and mentally stressful watching your parent degrade in health; we took care of my old man at home from the time I was 8 til he died when I was fifteen. Total care.

You are a true hero and a Man for stepping up when your dad needs you. I know a lot of people who are unwilling or just incapable mentally of that challenge.

Keep your chin up and enjoy every second you have with the old man.
If you need to talk about things, I and others are here and will happily listen. Just ask or vent some steam.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:50 pm

SkyMan wrote:
Thanks for the exercise advice Flora... I consider you my personal trainer and all-around exercise guru... if thats ok. As for nurses coming in to see Dad... that would be awesome except for the part about Meidcare not paying for such things.... I am getting some respite care soon, but we jsut learned that Dad may have to have another surgery so we are taking a one day at at ime approach.

any time, honey.

take the respite care or what ever they give

breathe and breathe

tough things pass as do good ones
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:51 pm

Midnite Detective wrote:
SkyMan wrote:
I am getting some respite care soon, but we jsut learned that Dad may have to have another surgery so we are taking a one day at at ime approach.

I salute you for taking care of your dad.
I know it's not easy, and it can be damn frustrating and mentally stressful watching your parent degrade in health; we took care of my old man at home from the time I was 8 til he died when I was fifteen. Total care.

You are a true hero and a Man for stepping up when your dad needs you. I know a lot of people who are unwilling or just incapable mentally of that challenge.

Keep your chin up and enjoy every second you have with the old man.
If you need to talk about things, I and others are here and will happily listen. Just ask or vent some steam.

Good luck.
whew

seven years as a youngster!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:07 pm

Flora:
Yeah, it wasn't much fun. He was wheelchair bound, missing one leg and a foot, totally paralyzed on the right side, eye problems, strokes, kidney and liver problems, other major diabetic related problems such as major infections, etc. So we had to give him pretty much total care: lifting him from chair to chair, help with bathing, toileting, etc.
He was also a severely abusive alcoholic before he went downhill and that really messed with our heads when we had to take care of him. He was still very physically abusive if you let your guard down when you got too close to him, and man did he have a nasty mouth on him. Heh, I remember being very flinchy for years, slightest noise and I was in flight mode.
Lol, it would have been nice if his mouth had been paralyzed or cut off! It would have been quiet at least. Smile

Another interesting fact that we were in a small town of about seventy people and I didn't have any kids even close to my age to play with. I was on my own for a very long time with nobody to relate to, talk to, or anywhere to escape. That's why I became curious about everything as long as it wasn't anywhere near my house while growing up. I always had my mind to fall back on. I sank myself into comic books, pulp novels, Sherlock Holmes novels, etc.
Isolation and the mad family life are pretty why I'm a bit odd and an anti-social introvert. I've got emotional problems as well. I don't handle violent and aggressive drunks very well. When they get aggressive, it brings out some really nasty things in me. I do worse with abusive parents. If I see a kid getting beat, not spanked or a mild slap, but real honest to God beat, my intervention will be very violent.

But enough whining and back to the topic.

I also need to learn sign language.

Edit: sorry for the long winded reply, I get involved when I talk about this kind of thing.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:21 pm

Midnite Detective wrote:
Flora:
Yeah, it wasn't much fun. He was wheelchair bound, missing one leg and a foot, totally paralyzed on the right side, eye problems, strokes, kidney and liver problems, other major diabetic related problems such as major infections, etc. So we had to give him pretty much total care: lifting him from chair to chair, help with bathing, toileting, etc.
He was also a severely abusive alcoholic before he went downhill and that really messed with our heads when we had to take care of him. He was still very physically abusive if you let your guard down when you got too close to him, and man did he have a nasty mouth on him. Heh, I remember being very flinchy for years, slightest noise and I was in flight mode.
Lol, it would have been nice if his mouth had been paralyzed or cut off! It would have been quiet at least. Smile

Another interesting fact that we were in a small town of about seventy people and I didn't have any kids even close to my age to play with. I was on my own for a very long time with nobody to relate to, talk to, or anywhere to escape. That's why I became curious about everything as long as it wasn't anywhere near my house while growing up. I always had my mind to fall back on. I sank myself into comic books, pulp novels, Sherlock Holmes novels, etc.
Isolation and the mad family life are pretty why I'm a bit odd and an anti-social introvert. I've got emotional problems as well. I don't handle violent and aggressive drunks very well. When they get aggressive, it brings out some really nasty things in me. I do worse with abusive parents. If I see a kid getting beat, not spanked or a mild slap, but real honest to God beat, my intervention will be very violent.

But enough whining and back to the topic.

I also need to learn sign language.

Edit: sorry for the long winded reply, I get involved when I talk about this kind of thing.

Son, I think that it is safe to type that you can share with us

Thank goodness for growing up and getting away!

One thing that I love about young people is that they know how and when to say
the word :issues".

We never had that growing up.

You were just supposed to agree with the parents no matter what
and, if something bad was happening, you were just supposed to not pay too much attention
to it and only disscuss the better parts.

THAT will make a person nutty!

sign language is great!

We have Galludette people at the gym.

They have FULL conversations from Way across the gym!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:35 pm

Yeah, growing up in the seventies and eighties, you didn't talk about stuff like that. Ever.
After the old man died, we moved to a town close to ours and I actually got to hang out with some of my classmates from school and make good friends, although I lost touch with them in my 20's.

I got in touch with a number of them on Facebook about a year ago. We were talking about child abuse when I admitted what had happened, some of the women actually cried when they found out what had been going on at our house all those years. The ones who knew me from grade school (we knew each other at school, they did not live in the same town and that really made summers long growing up) remembered I was quiet and a little freaky when I was at school, especially when it came time to go home.

I ask no pity and talk about what happened from an observational and detached point of view, as does my mother; but I actually felt sorry for my friends when they found out last year. It seemed to really affect them although it was over twenty years ago and they were little kids who lived in another town and couldn't have done anything about it anyway.
What a strange world.

I'm considering "forcing" the Grey Man to learn sign language as well so we can communicate more effectively if we have to.
An absence of many deaf folks in our town make it unlikely that we'll be understood if we start in with signing.

Plus, it's a great skill to have for volunteer work.
You never know.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:42 pm

DO get Gray Man to learn sign language!!

you will never be sorry!

It is true that some have it worse than us.
This is no reason to stay.

This is a reason to LOVE your food and your bed and this site
Back to top Go down
SkyMan

SkyMan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:23 am

Im not going to shy away from being my Dads caregiver... I may not like most of the chores that come along with it, I might not even be very good at it... but Im not gonna stick him in a nursing home!! He still has most of his mind and WANTS to get better. When he no longer want to get better is when there will be long convos and big decisions made. As for now, it s a one day at a time approach.

@MD... I had a similar youth but mine lasted for only about 5 years and I got to move out and away from the abusive family. Im sorry yours lasted for so long and left you scarred... Even though the expression 'time heals all wounds' is cliche and bs for the most part... its true. Nothing anyone can do can make you get over that abuse, only when time passes does it get better.
Back to top Go down
SkyMan

SkyMan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:24 am

Hey Mods... I think Midnite Detective, Flora and myself kinda hijacked this thread... if you would like to split it off into something else, by all means do!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:35 am

SkyMan wrote:
Im not going to shy away from being my Dads caregiver... I may not like most of the chores that come along with it, I might not even be very good at it... but Im not gonna stick him in a nursing home!! He still has most of his mind and WANTS to get better. When he no longer want to get better is when there will be long convos and big decisions made. As for now, it s a one day at a time approach.

Good for you man, like I said, I really respet that.
Heh, I helped hijack my own thread. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SkyMan

SkyMan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:05 pm

I totally forgot this was a thread you started... thats freakin awesome!! LMAO!!
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:39 pm

Getting my shovel ready for Thanksgiving weekend Thats usually when I first start to shovel the snow
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:55 pm

Polarman wrote:
Getting my shovel ready for Thanksgiving weekend Thats usually when I first start to shovel the snow

Good grief! I cannot even imagine that much snow by Thanksgiving.
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:11 pm

I was also going to read up on grant writing, so that I could apply for a job with the YWCA. But I wonder if they do not hire men.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:03 pm

Idea Man wrote:
I was also going to read up on grant writing, so that I could apply for a job with the YWCA. But I wonder if they do not hire men.

They have made the move to call themselves just "The Y".

They DO hire men.

Let's get your job plan going, my brothr
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:04 pm

Polarman wrote:

YAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish that I could be there with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:55 am

Direct marketing, same as it's been since the middle 2000's. Adwords, SEO, E-mail marketing, Social media marketing, squeeze pages, you name it, I'm studying it. Will always be. Have to fund the operation somehow right?
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:24 pm

You should come up and visit me some time Midnite Detective We could go sliding down the big mountain I will use my shovel to show you what Harry Potter felt like the firest time he rode a broomstick through the air Silver Sentinel saw a small video I made last febuary on my cell in which I rode my shovel down a flight of ice covered stairs The kids love watching me do that every year seconed best to all the times Ive taken high jumps going down the hills sometimes a pipe freezes and breaks open It then freezes so the hills become twice as fast and the jumps twice as high I even jumped a small house comming down the mountains on my shovel
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:39 pm

Polarman wrote:
You should come up and visit me some time Midnite Detective We could go sliding down the big mountain I will use my shovel to show you what Harry Potter felt like the firest time he rode a broomstick through the air Silver Sentinel saw a small video I made last febuary on my cell in which I rode my shovel down a flight of ice covered stairs The kids love watching me do that every year seconed best to all the times Ive taken high jumps going down the hills sometimes a pipe freezes and breaks open It then freezes so the hills become twice as fast and the jumps twice as high I even jumped a small house comming down the mountains on my shovel

Lol. No thanks.
We've got some good size hills and hollows in Missouri, and I've done the shovel ride before.
But never a mountain. Heck, I"ve never even seen a real mountain up close. Probably freak me out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?   What NONCombat skills are YOU working on? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What NONCombat skills are YOU working on?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next