Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Enviroman's Training Log

Go down 
+4
DRock
Gauge
E0N (Inactive)
Enviroman
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Enviroman

Enviroman

Enviroman's Training Log Empty
PostSubject: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:42 pm

Hey all, gonna start up my training log. I generally follow a bodyweight-with-added-weight type strategy. I do bodyweight type exercises with a backpack with sand and weights in it. I also use a jumbo-sized cargo bag filled with sand for deadlifts and front squats. My cardio typically consists of running or biking, along with karate-type-stuff and sometimes high intensity interval exercises. Cardio's usually more of a challenge for me, I just don't get as much enjoyment out of it as I do strength training, it honestly kind of bores me.

ANYWAY.

Goals for the time being:

215 lbs(currently at 195)
Run 3 miles nonstop.
Increase punching and kicking speed/overall fighting speed.

Back to top Go down
Enviroman

Enviroman

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:56 pm

12/14/2010

Weight: 195lbs

Workout:
40 minutes of broadsword drills
2x10 Pullups w/15lb backpack
1x8 Pullups w/15lb backpack
3x10 HSPUs(handstand pushup) w/15 lb backpack
3x10 OLS(one legged squats) w/15 lb backpack

Last year on my gain cycle I started at 185lb and made it up to 195, this year I'm shooting for 215. Obviously that's not all going to be muscle(20 lbs in a year is a bit unrealistic for lean muscle growth). I feel like I'm coming along nicely, though.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:00 pm

Cool stuff. Are you dealing with a knee/leg injury by any chance?
Back to top Go down
Enviroman

Enviroman

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:05 pm

Not at the moment, though I'm always conscious of them. I've pulled muscles before but that heals, typically joint injuries are a bit more problematic. Why do you ask?
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:12 pm

It was the goal of running 3 miles non-stop. The other stuff seems relatively advanced compared to that.
Back to top Go down
Enviroman

Enviroman

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:27 pm

Ah, no, I just have horribad cardio conditioning. I hate running, but it's something I WANT to be good at, so it's one of my big goals. Ideally I'd like to be able to do five miles at a clip but since even a mile nonstop is a struggle for me at the moment 3 miles seemed like a more realistic immediate goal.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:18 pm

Do you do your running outdoors or on a treadmill? Also, I always suggest that you do training in costume, when feasible. Especially self-defense skills. I think it's great that you are not abandoning cardio training. You will realize the wisdom of your decision when you start patrolling on a regular basis. Good luck reaching your goal.
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:38 pm

I'm working on training myself. I got a gym membership and I've been putting in at least an hour a day, three days a week (I usually exceed it, especially with friends to talk to). I am trying to lose weight and get some muscle tone, but my primary focus right now is cardio.

A brisk jog for 25 minutes on the treadmill and I feel wrecked. Then I hit the weights. Then I use the elliptical machine, to which I don't feel as wrecked 25 minutes in because I'm starting to get a jogger's high.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:20 pm

On the elliptical machine, you also don't have the impact you have when jogging on the treadmill. You get the cardio benefits without the trauma.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:25 pm

Enviroman, powerbocks are fun in terms of doing cardio for an extended period of time without getting bored.

Audio books can help, too, or old radio shows if you're into that.

Otherwise just hang in there, I guess. I've never really enjoyed running much either.
Back to top Go down
Enviroman

Enviroman

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:47 pm

I WANT POWERBOCKS SO BAD O_O

Finances don't really allow it, though, at least not right now. I will try the audio book thing, though. I've done music before, but I think the audio book might hold my interest more.

LOG 12/15/10

Weight: 196 lbs

Workout:
15 minutes of weapons katas

Kind of a pitiful workout today, will do better tomorrow. Just ran out of time.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:52 pm

I strongly recommend the radio series "The Saint" starring Vincent Price. There's a ton of old time radio stuff on archive.org you can download for free. librivox.org has free audio books read by volunteers -- the quality of their readings vary a lot.
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:03 am

I always wonder why weight lifters/body builders hate cardio so much. I'm a pretty muscle-y dude and I enjoy cardio. Every post I read on bb.com and similar websites take the stand that cardio is a "necessary evil." Never understood that.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:14 am

More you move, more you'll have to eat to gain mass.
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:17 pm

I know I have a problem eating enough in a day. I eat 5-6 meals per day and it seems like I'm just eating all the time. I still don't get all the protein I would like, though.
Back to top Go down
Enviroman

Enviroman

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Thanks E0N, I'll definitely check those out when I get my hands on a new MP3 player.

Jack - I don't view cardio as evil, in fact I really enjoy biking and swimming. I just don't really enjoy running, and my cardiovascular system as a whole leaves a bit to be desired.

LOG 12/16/10

Ran/Walked: 20 minutes.
Hand Katas: 15 minutes.
Weapons Katas: 10 minutes.

Wanted to do a strength workout today, didn't have time, tomorrow I'm off work so I'll do it then. The cold did a number on my run tonight, my leg muscles got so cold when I ran by the lake they started cramping up. The last half mile or so was an exercise in mental and physical tenacity, lol.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:19 pm

Glad to see you keeping at it. For strength 2 minutes each of pushups and situps (or honest crunches) will smoke most people and is convenient if you're rushed.
Back to top Go down
Enviroman

Enviroman

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:46 am

That sounds like fun, I'll have to try that during a burnout session sometime soon. Maybe with my karate class kids, I think they'd enjoy it =D

Sooo, holidays/travelling kind of ate my weekend, back in the saddle today.

LOG 12/21/10

Weight: 198
1X10 Pullups @15 lbs
2x8 Pullups @ 15 lbs
3x10 Ring Dips @ 15 lbs
3x10 Pistol Squates @ 15 lbs
1x10 Standing Ab Wheel Rollouts
2x5 Standing Ab Wheel Rollouts

Had a very manual-labor heavy day at work so my performance during my workout was less than optimal. Also had to stay late so I didn't get my run in. That said, I'm relatively happy with this workout, was very short and intense. Didn't get full ROM on my squats, though, and I'd really like to be able to consistently nail 3 reps of 10 pullups before I bump up the weight again, but even if I don't get it by next week, I'm bumping up to 20 pounds on sunday.
Back to top Go down
Enviroman

Enviroman

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:49 pm

No workout today, got up early, worked long, freaking bushed. Just stretching tonight, strength and cardio tomorrow(hopefully).
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:59 pm

Oh sure... that's what they all say.

Heh. Me neither, though. Just standup and some straightening up around the house... I count that as a workout. Neutral

Anyway, hang in there and stuff. Smile
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:34 pm

Free squats with no weight are great cardio. When you can do 500+ without stopping you are set, and you'll have strong legs too!
Funny thing is, my strength is terrible, but I put 12 miles on the excercise bike 4 times a week and do 200 steps on my stepper (all as conditioning for my bad knees) every day.
Back to top Go down
Enviroman

Enviroman

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:29 pm

Thanks for the tip, Blue, I worked that in today.

LOG 12/26/10
Weight: 198 lbs
1x10 Pullups @ 20 lbs.
2x10 Pullups @ 20 lbs.
2x10 HSPU @ 20 lbs.
1x7 HSPU @ 20 lbs.
3x10 Pushups @ 120lbs.
3x7 SAWRO
3x50 Bodyweight Squats
40 Minutes Mountain Hike
1 Hour Snow Shoveling

So Christmas festivities basically ate up the rest of my week, was basically wrapping, making, or shopping for presents whenever I wasn't at work(made my cousin a sweet set of throwing stars). Got back on the wagon today, with my increase of weight in the backpack as promised. Started the day with a short but rigorous mountain hike about half an hour from my house, and then the blizzard hit so I was shovelling off and on throughout the afternoon. Decided to stay away from my weighted squats because of this so I did the bodyweight squats instead and they ended up burning pretty well towards the end :-P
Back to top Go down
Enviroman

Enviroman

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Also, I think I have devised the ultimate weight gain shake: 2 scoops of protein into a cup and a half of eggnog! hahaha. 880 calories, 75 grams of protein. Was kind of tough to get down, to be honest, hahaha.
Back to top Go down
Enviroman

Enviroman

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:02 pm

haha, so the holidays end and I get slammed with a nasty head cold, woohoo! Anyway, first workout of the new year! Also proposed to my girlfriend yesterday, so we spent the whole day celebrating and not working out :-P

TRAINING LOG 1/2/11
Weight: 200 lbs.
3x7 Pullups @ 20 lbs
3x7 Dips @ 20 lbs
3x7 HSPUs @ 20 lbs
3x7 Pistols @ 20 lbs
3x7 Hanging Leg Lifts

Took it a little easy(hence the sets of seven instead of ten) since I'm still battling this damn cold, but it felt good to get a solid workout in. Gonna try to run tomorrow, if my sinuses/throat will allow heavy breathing, haha.
Back to top Go down
Enviroman

Enviroman

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:20 am

TRAINING LOG 1/3/11
Weight: 201 lbs
20 Minutes Running/Brisk Walking
20 Minutes Kata w/Resistance Vest

Got a pair of Vibram Five Fingers shoes for a late christmas present today, so I figured I'd try them out. Whenever I go hiking/running, I like to go barefoot. Unfortunately, in the winter this is more difficult because I have to run in the dark, which means I can't really watch for glass or sharp objects while I'm running, plus it gets a bit cold. The five fingers shoes solve both of these problems without losing much control/sensitivity in the process, I was quite satisfied. I can't wait to do some parkour in these suckers.

My kata I did with a new training device I've been developing, the resistance vest. It's a 15 lb weighted vest with resistance bands secured to it that attach to weightlifting gloves. It provides resistance to every punch/block/hand motion I perform while wearing the vest. The extra weight of the vest makes my legs and core muscles work a bit more too. I tied a few resistance bands between my ankles to work my kicks harder too. The design has promise, but I'm going to have to modify it a bit more before I feel it's worthy of sharing on the forums. I will share, though, don't worry!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Enviroman's Training Log   Enviroman's Training Log Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Enviroman's Training Log
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next