Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is it REALLY a crime?

Go down 
+12
Flora V. Arbor
Chivalry
Zimmer
Urban Avenger
Artisteroi
Polarman
Blue Alpha
Krystalline
Proteus
Equal
E0N (Inactive)
Crossfire the Crusader
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Is it REALLY a crime? Empty
PostSubject: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:26 pm

In New York a person can be fined $25 for flirting...and you can be given the DEATH PENALTY for jumping off a building.

Flirting with a member of the opposite sex in the streets of Little Rock, Arkansas can get you 30 days in jail.

In OKlahoma, Dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in groups of three or more on private property...and WHALING is illegal there also.

Its also illegal to fish for whales in Nebraska...and if a child burps in church there his parents may be arrested.

Ironically its an offense to HUNT whales in Utah...and It is a felony to persistently tread on the cracks between paving stones on the sidewalk of a state highway.

In Wyoming you may not take a picture of a rabbit from January to April without an official permit.

And in California, It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.

There are some pretty stupid laws out there...thats something to think about before taking a stance that anything illegal is worth fighting...If you're going to overlook some laws, perhaps you shold really think about your priorities....If you're going to enforce ALL laws, then you probably need to do some serious reading and be prepared to punish flirters, whalers, and other criminal types.

Just a thought

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:33 pm

I agree with you and think most of those are pretty funny.

The CA one protecting wildlife isn't quite as weird as it sounds, though. As a consequence of laws like that I can walk downstairs from my office and basically be greeted by a pack of deer in front of the school on my way home every day. Very rarely (like every few months) I actually have to stop and allow a line of ducks to cross the road. And when I going running along the beach I see seals out sunning themselves and a million different types of birds.

On the other hand, I do think venison and ducks are delicious.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:41 pm

IN one city in Kansas or Oklahoma (not sure which and cant locate it again) it is illegal for a woman to practive martial arts in a swimsuit on Sundays...pretty specific law but D U M B.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:54 pm

It's some conspiracy to make honest people crimminals! Or it's just another side effect of drug abuse Laughing
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:59 pm

Ok, so just to clarify, being that I'm in California... So it's perfectly ok for me to ride down PCH in the back of an El Camino with my crossbow and hunt whales?

And to think I've been sneaking around all this time... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:08 am

In Los Angeles it is illegal for a woman to walk along the coastline by herself at night, instead she must be in a carriage with a guard armed with a club and a man walking out in front with a lantern.

In Atlanta, GA it is illegal to walk into a sundae parlor, sit at the counter, and order a sundae when dressed in a suit.

In California it is a law that "Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses". (Now that one made me giggle.)

In Tennessee "Any person who participates in a duel may not hold any public office in the state.".
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:51 pm

In CA:

Animals cannot mate within 1500 ft of a school, tavern, or place of worship

Women cannot drive wearing housecoats

No car without a driver may exceed speeds of 60 mph

Certain CA cities have dumb laws:

Blythe: You are not permitted to wear cowboy boots unless you already own at least two cows.

Burlingame: Spitting is illegal except on baseball diamonds

Eureka: Men who wear moustaches are forbidden from kissing women.

Fresno: No one may annoy a lizard in a city park ("I'm not touching the lizard! I'm not touching-""Stop right there!""Oh no! The fuzz!")
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:30 pm

In 1999 it was against the law for the NWT fire Dept to fight fires in the city of Iqaluit which was soon to become the Capital of Nunavut

Iqaluit is the only canadian capital city where skidoos and ATVs are allowed within city limits They are also allowed to drive on the wrong side of the road as well as on the public sidewalks
and dont have to follow the same laws as other traffic They have the rights of the road and every right to tell a pedestrian to **** off and to force pedestrians to scramble over snowbanks so that they dont get run over

Its also legal for drunks and punks to frequent the playgrounds and throw the swings over the play strutures as well as tie them up in knots as well as leave bottles of alcohol and condoms all over the place with pieces of disgarded clothing
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:37 pm

In 1999 it was against the law for the NWT fire Dept to fight fires in the city of Iqaluit which was soon to become the Capital of Nunavut

Iqaluit is the only canadian capital city where skidoos and ATVs are allowed within city limits They are also allowed to drive on the wrong side of the road as well as on the public sidewalks
and dont have to follow the same laws as other traffic They have the rights of the road and every right to tell a pedestrian to **** off and to force pedestrians to scramble over snowbanks so that they dont get run over

Its also legal for drunks and punks to frequent the playgrounds and throw the swings over the play strutures as well as tie them up in knots as well as leave bottles of alcohol and condoms all over the place with pieces of disgarded clothing
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:39 pm

Those aren't laws Polarman, that's the authorities no enforcing the law.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:58 pm

They appeared in a book of funny Canadian laws Ill see if I can find a copy of it
Back to top Go down
Artisteroi

Artisteroi

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:46 pm

Now?

Anyway, the point is that many laws are put into place and seem perfectly logical at the time. But once they are viewed in hindsight people often wonder why they were ever enforced (or created) in the first place.

Just in the past few years there have been many laws put on the books that are almost definitely going to have to be erased within a decade or 2. The sheer waste of precious time (and other resources) that is created by having to undo something that should not even exist is unfathomable.

Also comparing flirting to cocaine not ok? Comparing pot to slavery is ok? Your standards are double oh wise and experienced master of all that is RLSH.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:48 pm

The silliest laws in Norway are illegalizing symptoms of substance addiction. Talk about double dammation.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:51 pm

And I forgot. Pitbulls and amstaffs are illegel becaus they are "dangerous". Not sure if it's funny or tragic...
Back to top Go down
Artisteroi

Artisteroi

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:52 pm

Illegal in some cities/counties in Florida also. sad
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:53 pm

Just making a suggestion in the interest of there being a point to any of this.

I guess alternatively we could each type a one paragraph summary of our outlooks on life and just copy/paste them back and forth at each other.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:57 pm

some laws are extremely silly, some make sense, I guess? whale bones have been discovered in nebraska from the western interior seaway, when the midwest was underwater along long time ago. maybe that has something to do with it.

in any event, this is a comedic thread on silly laws, comparing them to laws on serious crimes to me, seems rather pointless and hints at trying to start an argument or drama, and should stop.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:40 pm

Florida totally wins, having just accidentally outlawed all sex of any kind.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:28 am

I find it funny that, in Oregon, it is illegal for Drivers to pump their own gas. Shocked

Others include such gems as: one may not bathe without wearing “suitable clothing", it is illegal to whisper “dirty” things in your lover’s ear during sex, and ice cream may not be eaten on Sundays.

Last edited by Dark Wolf on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:09 pm

Pitbulls are also outlawed in both Yellowknife and parts of Ontario There is talk of getting rid of the ones in Iqaluit because of the danger due to their agressivness as it is Youre not allowed to let them breed in Iqaluit Yellowknife and I think the same is true for Ontario
Back to top Go down
Chivalry

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:43 pm

In Florida I believe there is a law where it says you can't leave your Alligator tied to a pole unattended...

I'm assuming some of these laws are in place because of one individual and the law makers were like we need to put an end to all the people who would do this.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:53 pm

Or sometimes just a original individual with a pet alligator that scared people away from the mall when he was shopping Razz . Been fun hearing the stories behind all the silly laws.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:32 am

Nemesis wrote:
Also, on that list, Aristeroi taught me a lesson so much he ranked two synonymous words for theft as entirely different scores. Little tired of learning from the uninformed.
"Larceny consists of a type of theft. Larceny involves an individual taking property such as goods or money without the owner's permission for personal use. Theft entails taking property from an owner without consent or permission with intent to use or sale. For example, a person who steals products from a store and tries to sell them later commits theft. However, if a person steals property for personal use commits larceny." Yes, they may be synonyms and used interchangeably (like stun gun & taser), but they're both two words for a reason.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:10 am

Larceny and theft are two different things.

Robbery is stealing, but its also a different crime.

Armed robbery is obviously different, but can eaily turn into assault OR battery.

Battery is the same as assault but involving a weapon...many people think that you can be charged with assault AND battery but its one or the other.

Breaking and entering is one crime but becomes a burglary when you steal something...therefore burglary while being another word for stealing is a different crime.

Vandalism is a crime but in many areas grafitti is its own crime seperate from vandalism.

Of course shoplifting is theft, but it is its own category of crime...as is pickpocketing. AND shopifting is the one crime where one only has to attempt it (secreting away the item) in order to be charged with it...you are guilty the moment you decide to hide said item on you and there si no legal need for anyone to wait for you to leave the store. Most stores have a rule that says you must walk past the registers or out the doors first as a courtesy to their customers BUT its not a requirement.

And of course MURDER is the theft of someones life and there are many different levels of and names for that particular crime.

And in the odd laws department...its illegal to attempt suicide but not illegal to suceed...kind of a moot point by then but still odd.

Last edited by Crossfire the Crusader on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Artisteroi

Artisteroi

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:23 am

Stephen King said there are only 2 sins in the eyes of the universe. Theft and Pride.

All laws come down to theft or pride. Murder is theft of life, arson is theft of property, rape is theft of innocence, etc etc. The other sin is pride. All laws that are "victimless" are laws of pride. Things like adultery, speeding, littering, getting high, etc. etc. Those are sins of pride. Which man does because he is self absorbed and thinks of himself first instead of his fellow man. Essentially we would not do any of those if it were not for pride.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it REALLY a crime?   Is it REALLY a crime? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Is it REALLY a crime?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next