Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Healthy recipes

Go down 
+5
The Reverend
Flora V. Arbor
E0N (Inactive)
DRock
Blue Alpha
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Healthy recipes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:24 pm

Crockpots are great, but I don't share your love of onions Rev.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:35 pm

Braised beef and polenta

Ingredients:
2lbs beef short ribs (boneless)
1 8oz can tomato paste
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cups cup red wine
1 can diced tomatoes,drained
1/2 cup beef stock
2 tablespoons oregano
2 tablespoons parsley flakes
1 tablespoon basil flakes
1cup whole mushroom caps
1 4oz can sliced black olives
1lb prepackaged polenta (you can make it yourself, but its a pain in the rear)

Mix wine and stock in a bowl, add short ribs and marinate for at least 24 hours. Place meat in crockpot with 1/2 cup of liquid (discard the rest). Top with tomato paste, oregano, parsley, basil, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, oil, and garlic. Cook on low for six hours or until meat is tender and medium. Add olives during last hour or so.
To cook polenta, either place the unopened package in boiling water for 10 minutes, or slice the polenta in thick slices and fry it in a little olive oil. Serve meat and polenta topped with the sauce.
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:46 pm

My new years resolution this year was " more onions , less lettuice " onions are great for the body , lettiuce is water and nothing . My boss eats cilantro instead of lettiuce but I can't stand the stuff . I love the idea of cooing with wine , it burns off the bad stuff and is good for food . I just don't know how . Will try one of your recipes blue . Never hurts to learn new things
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:13 pm

I use wine for marinades, or add tiny amounts to sauces. Add a dash when you make spaghetti.

Here's on just for you Reverend:

Wine-grilled sirloin

Ingredients:
1 large boneless top serlion steak
2 cups red wine
Black pepper
1 red onion, sliced
1 green bellpepper, sliced

Season both sides of the steak heavily with pepper then tenderize, place in a ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight. Place in red wine with bellpepper and onion and marinate at least 4 hours. Grill the steak with the veggies placed on top. This can be tricky, because when you flip the meat you'll have to take the veggies off with tongs, and put them back on after the meat is turned. Serve with oven-roasted potatoes.
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:28 pm

Blue Alpha wrote:
Crockpots are great, but I don't share your love of onions Rev.

Uhhhhggg..... I can never look at another crockpot again.

A former roommate of mine a couple years back (we'll call him Sherman the Vermin) brought home one of his usual catches, or so I thought. What I thought would be deer turned out to be...... wait for it...

I opened the lid to sneak a peek, but instead of deer shank, I find this skull with a huge maw and large buck teeth gaping at me from inside the pot!!!

Muskrat, emphasis on RAT. One of the few times in life you'd ever screamed like a little girl.

I will never own another crockpot again! Nor have a room mate that goes out and digs s**t off the side of the road for dinner, or a room mate, period!
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:01 pm

Was it actual roadkill, or did he hunt for it? Was he foriegn? My stance is if its not dangerous, and it tastes good, who cares what it is? But yeah, that woulda scared me too.
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:05 pm

Blue Alpha wrote:
Was it actual roadkill, or did he hunt for it? Was he foriegn? My stance is if its not dangerous, and it tastes good, who cares what it is? But yeah, that woulda scared me too.

Yes, it was. No, turns out he was a druggie (when I gathered hard proof, I called the police and had him forcibly removed)

And I don't like faces on my food, like potatoes and their ever-seeing eyes... Ok, that last part was a bad joke.

Part of the reason I was a vegetarian for 12 years.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:44 pm

OK, that makes sense. No crockpot for you.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:30 pm

Blue Alpha wrote:
E0N wrote:
I'm going to attempt a traditional Chinese medicine version of chicken soup tonight, probably with some ginseng added. Sort of like this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hopefully that'll go okay. I'll also probably have to use Astragalus extract rather than the actual root.

Authentic Asian food is always awesome, let us know how it turns out.

Flora wrote:
I'LL BE RIGHT OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

See ya @ 11:30 Wink

Actually the extract was a bad idea. In the future I'll just take it separately.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:39 pm

Sorry to hear that. Good thought though. You never know if its gonna work if you don't try, right?
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:04 pm

Lets see
Todays Special

Soups are easy I happen to like

Cream of Garlic with merrichino cherries

Cream of honey with Dill pickles

Sandwitches

Oatmeal and cheese with baloney

Grilled cheese with honey and dill pickles

Jam and cheese with pastrami

Salads

Ice cream salad

Ceasar Sundae

Ceasar shake

Chef Sundae

Chef Shake

Baloney Split

Easter Sundae

Easter Shake

Drinks

Onion Kool Aid

Onion Juice

Vegetable punch

Milk Juice

Breakfast Pizza with honey and strawberry jam

Thanksgiving pizza

Cover dough or crust with turkey Ham eggs peppers pineapple pepperoni Brocoli Cauliflower Spinach Apples Bannanas Onions Garlic and stuffing pour pumkin pie sauce over it then cover with melted Blue Cheese on top and bake for hour at 350

If you dont have blue cheese Cottage cheese works just as well

Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:08 pm

Anonyman You could always try to make a Poutine

French Fries melted Cheese and gravy

I also enjoy a poutine pizza with the works
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:29 pm

Anyone good at making simple breads? I could use some recipes for an ordinary white bread as well as for an unleavened bread that will last a while without turning into "hard tack."

This one for Amish white bread looks kind of foolproof... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Reducing the sugar to 1/4 cup will apparently make it more like normal white bread.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:39 pm

The only thing I know how to do with bread is make a sandwitch
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:54 pm

Polarman, I know you like posting your Frankensteinish culinary creations, but this thread is for recipes of healthy (or sensible) meals. If you have anything on topic to post I'd be glad to read it.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:39 pm

I thought that I posted healthy stuff scince it was all loaded with fruits and vegetables

Ok Some arctic recipes

Im not a fish eater but I think you might like this one

Arctic Char is usually eaten raw or cold Often frozen Can be enjoyed with bannock and tea or on a pizza Now Traditionally the brains and the eyes are often enjoyed as a treat Ive had the eyes before and they are good to suck on if you get a sore throat

Caribou stew is very simular to deer or elk meat cooked with potatos carrots and is even enjoyed on a pizza

Seal meat is very strong Unless you have been eating it your whole life You should be very careful with cooking and eating it

Walrus meat is even stronger than seal I would recomend that unless you spent your whole life eating it you just avoid it altogether I had it once and was sick from it for a whole day and that was only one fork full of it

Polarbear meat Ive never had before however I believe it would be like eating any other bear except that unlike other bears Polarbears hunt seals they do not eat berries

The berries are really good for making jams and go well with cakes and pies too They also go well on ice cream and milkshakes

Beetles are a good scorce of protine and if you were in a situation where there was nothing else then they would give you enough energy to get a shelter up and hopefully a fire to warm up with

Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Polarman wrote:
I thought that I posted healthy stuff scince it was all loaded with fruits and vegetables

Ok Some arctic recipes

Im not a fish eater but I think you might like this one

Arctic Char is usually eaten raw or cold Often frozen Can be enjoyed with bannock and tea or on a pizza Now Traditionally the brains and the eyes are often enjoyed as a treat Ive had the eyes before and they are good to suck on if you get a sore throat

I love fish but I'm not big on it raw (as sushi is the newest fad here in Cali, that means once again I am unfashionable) but I'll use medium-rare tuna for certain italian recipes. Fish is lean, full of protien and omega-3's.

Caribou stew is very simular to deer or elk meat cooked with potatos carrots and is even enjoyed on a pizza

Deer of any kind is awesome, but unless you know someone who hunts finding it fresh at reasonable prices can be tricky.

Seal meat is very strong Unless you have been eating it your whole life You should be very careful with cooking and eating it

Walrus meat is even stronger than seal I would recomend that unless you spent your whole life eating it you just avoid it altogether I had it once and was sick from it for a whole day and that was only one fork full of it

Polarbear meat Ive never had before however I believe it would be like eating any other bear except that unlike other bears Polarbears hunt seals they do not eat berries

I don't see any of this being available in grocery stores outside of the artic circle, but I have had bear (black) at an indian reservation. Greasy and super filling. I get stuffed (and heartburn) just thinking about it....

The berries are really good for making jams and go well with cakes and pies too They also go well on ice cream and milkshakes

Berries are healthy and full of antioxidants. I'm an ice cream junkie (my local Dairy Queen jokingly asked me not to take part in their annual Blizzard eating contest) and I'll say that a bowl of frozen blue & black berries can curb that addiction.

Beetles are a good scorce of protine and if you were in a situation where there was nothing else then they would give you enough energy to get a shelter up and hopefully a fire to warm up with

When I took part in a survival camp, we were taught how to eat bugs. Nothing with bright colors. Small black ants are too small for major sustinance, but catching them can relieve boredom. Moths are high in fat, slow, and atracted to light: Light a fire at night and catch some dinner.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:47 pm

Sushi is great, but not something you want to go to a grocery store, buy a fish, and go make. You kinda need to start with a live fish or very freshly killed fish.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:26 pm

Up here you dont find much fish in grocery stores Also the seal walrus and bears are only hunted on the land not found in the stores While we do get our groceries up here in the north The stores such as the North West company Northmat (Used to be the Bay then Northern) has a very sad history of ripping people off with poor quality products and exremely high prices

For Example my family saw the thanksgiving turkey and we were very Thankful that we could afford to get our food on the sealift without having to go through the NWC to to it What they had passed as turkey was nothing more than a stuffed chicken just big enough to barely feed one person if the rest of the family could choose to do without and on top of this They were charging 100.00 for the bird My family went online and placed an order for a nice big fat ham that was only about 25.00
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:15 pm

I thought ice-fishing was kind of invented up there...

scratch
Back to top Go down
RedLight

RedLight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:40 am

I'm desperately trying to end my love affair with sugar.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:23 am

RedLight wrote:
I'm desperately trying to end my love affair with sugar.

You'd be amazed how often you can replace sugar with honey. Alot healthier.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:12 pm

If you eat pork, this recipe for "sage pork chops" is good and cheap.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
RedLight

RedLight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:19 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Also, I lost my battle with sugar temporarily.
I couldn't resist that bag of candy corn at the store.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:43 am

The way to end sugar cravings is with a real serving of protien,
every four hours.

What is a "real serving" of protien?

About 22-28 gram PER MEAL, NOT per day
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Healthy recipes   Healthy recipes - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Healthy recipes
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next