Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Don't punch in a real fight (video)

Go down 
+20
Black Reaper
Shade Gargoyle
hiddensparrow
Lost Prophet
Idea Man
adamm[]
Instructor
Havoc
Dark Guardian
The Jinn
Blue Alpha
Sleepless
patchwork
Equal
Urban Avenger
Gauge
Midnite Detective
Crimson Catalyst
Vulpo
E0N (Inactive)
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:16 pm

Now that I've actually watched the video, I see nothing wrong with the strikes he proposes, but I do take issue with his premise that the natural reaction to a thrown punch is to just stand there and take it. I agree you shouldn't punch the skull with a closed fist, but if you tried to punch a person's face, they're going to try to move out of the way. This can still result in the injuries he described, so maybe his premise doesn't really matter.
Back to top Go down
Midnite Detective

Midnite Detective

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:44 am

I'm a big fan of the side of the head/ear cupped palm slap. Stings like a bitch and will often throw the target off balance and disrupt their equilibrium. I've had success with this one.
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:56 pm

A grappling style, like Jiujitsu is generally superior in a fight. Look at how Ultimate Fighting evolved because the grapplers were routinely wiping the mat with the strikers. If you're not a trained boxer, don't bother throwing punches.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Grappling is exactly what the army teaches at the basic level -- go for a dominant position then do a finishing move, pretty much.

They also emphasize that the winner of a fight is probably going to be the guy whose friends show up first.

IRL my limited experience has included grappling and kicking once or twice. I hurt my hand punching once or twice, too -- looking back on it I can't think of any situation that was resolved by a punch. The only kick that ever really mattered was getting somebody away from me so I could get further away from them.

Grappling has usually been a "hey, calm down" type of thing.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:45 pm

Punching and kicking is effective if you have an affinity for fighting, but many people do not have that.

Here's another video that presents the idea that there are different types of fighters, hence why a brute can often defeat a martial artist, and vice versa.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:18 pm

The throws can be the winner, but the punch can make the opening. Most pure soft martial arts teach atemi to make the openings needed.
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:06 pm

Don't punch someone in the top of the head. Heel palms and hammerfist are safer punching.
Common sense.

I love boxing and sometimes hearing things like the video annoy me. I get it it is safer, but don't assume everyone punches like a fool.
Punching is good just learn how and where to punch.

Double helix that video makes me want to start challenging fool martial artists.
Back to top Go down
Havoc

Havoc

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:38 am

Im a grappler, putting someone and keeping them in a hold gets you tired tho
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:40 pm

Grappling is important, I learn it and I teach it. However I would caution against going to the ground in a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu way in actual street combat. You never know if the guy you've so expertly pinned has a friend rushing to his aid. If you are all tangled up with somebody it's hard to get away.

Striking has it's place.
Back to top Go down
adamm[]

adamm[]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:39 pm

punching can knock your opponent out, it takes very little energy opposed to going to the ground. ive seen a 5'6 munchin knock out some 6'2 goliath dude in a bar fight, there would be no way in he;; the guy would have out wrestled him.

title should be called learn to punch in a fight.

most people dont know how to punch and this is why they mess up their hands. ive sprained my wrist and knuckles plenty of times playing punch for punch as a kid because i never punched alot. but a couple months with a punching bag and ive learned how to position my fists to not sprain myself when throwing a punch.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:22 am

Only works if the person getting the punch is unprepeared for it, not much use for self defence (unless you want to be arrested). You should be damn sure somebody is gonna hurt you if you use ambush as self defense. Could be useful if you need to make an opening to flee throug if you are being surrounded.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:08 pm

Even in grappling we are taught to occasionally 'stun' the opponent with a low kick or open handed strike, even a punch. It's mostly to distract them so we can execute a joint lock and throw.
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:51 pm

patchwork wrote:
how bout this: don't be a dumb ass in a fight

Rule Number One: Hurt the other person more than you hurt yourself.
Back to top Go down
Lost Prophet

Lost Prophet

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:46 pm

I would much prefer using elbows and knees than my fists.
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:38 am

There was also a notion that I learned through my training that some people who weren't thinking would take their keys in their hands, position them *through* the middle of their fingers and use them as "claws".

This was one of the DUMBEST thing for folks to do (and apparently they used to do this! --Not sure if it still happens or whatnot), primarily because it would ultimately destroy the webbing between your fingers (and once again disabling your own levels of protection).

Another thing I learned through my training was to ALWAYS come in at an angle.

If you hit folks straight on, you increase your risk of damaging yourself (much like the guy in the first vid mentions).

I would prefer to distract with fake right hook and then come up with my left palm and hit them in the chin, if I can give myself the opportunity to pull this off.

Cheers,

~HS. :>

Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:51 am

Double Helix wrote:
I thought I'd share this video about balance points to help provide some ideas of how an attack being thrown at you can be a window of opportunity, punches included.

Greetings,

Would it be possible to make a re-post of this, please?

It seems that "This video has been removed by the user."

Thanks!

~HS. :>
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Just search youtube for aikido, hapido and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:58 pm

Everything is situational. Sometimes a straight punch is better than a roundhouse. You look for and attempt to create openings, then exploit what's available. A common mistake that people make is to swing for the fences with every blow, and overcommit to the punch, when a simple jab could be much more effective and likelier to connect. Your opponents reaction speed may also be a factor. Round punches are not as fast, so are easier to defend. If your opponent is blocking your round punches, throw a quick straight jab with the opposite hand and nail him, or just kick him in the ding ding! (credit SuperHero)
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Gauge wrote:
Everything is situational. Sometimes a straight punch is better than a roundhouse. You look for and attempt to create openings, then exploit what's available. A common mistake that people make is to swing for the fences with every blow, and overcommit to the punch, when a simple jab could be much more effective and likelier to connect. Your opponents reaction speed may also be a factor. Round punches are not as fast, so are easier to defend. If your opponent is blocking your round punches, throw a quick straight jab with the opposite hand and nail him, or just kick him in the ding ding! (credit SuperHero)

Thank you, Gauge.

It has been a while since I last trained.

In my need to go through great focus, I tend to forget that other methods are just as important.

Thank you for reminding me of this. \m/

Cheers,

~HS. Cool \/
Back to top Go down
Shade Gargoyle

Shade Gargoyle

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:34 am

Interesting to know. As it happens, I've never been fond of striking for the head or face, and often prefer to strike at my opponent's torso (Although my experience is, admittedly, quite limited).

Also, to offer my thoughts on the debate between striking and grappling, I would personally side with a striking style, especially for RLSH... And doubly so for those of us who work alone: as effective as grappling and wrestling may be against a single adversary, it is likely safer to assume that you won't have the luxury of one on one combat. Bringing yourself to the ground in an attempt to overpower an individual goon, when there are, in fact, four goons (Three of whom are now free to attack you while you're both down, and entangled) could be a serious mistake.
Now, again, I have very little actual combat experience, so take this with a pinch of salt, but... As nearly as I can figure, the difference between going down in a no-holds-barred street fight against violent criminals, and potentially getting curb-stomped or having your spine and ribs broken is relatively little... And far too little for my taste.
Back to top Go down
Black Reaper

Black Reaper

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 27, 2012 2:09 pm

oh wow...lol
Back to top Go down
Kaiju

Kaiju

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 27, 2012 3:22 pm

I've never really understood what the point of throwing a punch in a fight would be. After all, the idea is to quickly stop your opponent from being able to fight. How on Earth does punching them accomplish that unless you're somehow able to punch them hard enough to knock them unconscious (and obviously that would be something to avoid even if you could do it)?
Back to top Go down
adamm[]

adamm[]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Kaiju wrote:
unless you're somehow able to punch them hard enough to knock them unconscious

thats the point of punching. Smile and strength(muscle mass) has absolutley nothing to do with knocking people out. mass*speed=force of impact (something like that).
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 27, 2012 9:43 pm

for women, punching is, often, pointless.

I do my best work by just stepping on the other person's foot

and working from there

or just keep them moving until their "cardio" ends.

WAAHAAA
Back to top Go down
Black Reaper

Black Reaper

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Its useful
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Don't punch in a real fight (video)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next