Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Don't punch in a real fight (video)

Go down 
+20
Black Reaper
Shade Gargoyle
hiddensparrow
Lost Prophet
Idea Man
adamm[]
Instructor
Havoc
Dark Guardian
The Jinn
Blue Alpha
Sleepless
patchwork
Equal
Urban Avenger
Gauge
Midnite Detective
Crimson Catalyst
Vulpo
E0N (Inactive)
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Nintyplayer

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue May 29, 2012 7:46 am

A friend of mine has been studying martial arts for over 12 years and insists that punching is useless, that kicks are stronger and provide better range. Another friend of mine with comparable experience insists that punches are superior, as they require less setup.
Personally, though, I'm not a fan of striking. I prefer a system of throws and grabs to something like a punch or a kick. In a legal situation, too, "he tried to punch me so I stopped him" is more understandable than "he tried to punch me so I knocked his block off."
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue May 29, 2012 1:06 pm

usually it's better to let the other person swing- then move and let

the person fall of their own weight.

Tai Chi is all-defense and uses many techniques that

use the other person's body weight

Last edited by Flora V. Arbor on Tue May 29, 2012 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue May 29, 2012 6:39 pm

People have different body types and strenghts. And training. If it's stupid and works, it's not stupid.

When it comes to street fighting, don't take advice from martial artists, take advice from street fighters. Martial artists spend to much time training and to little time fighting to become experts.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed May 30, 2012 9:03 am

I both agree and disagree with you Equal. Advice doesn't teach you to fight, training does. Like all people martial artists aren't all the same, some are very effective fighters and some are not.

I have been taught and tested both in the dojang and on the street. I've won sometimes and lost sometimes but always learned.

I suggest again, learn to punch AND grapple, learn to fight with weapons and without. Pick weapons that are common and all around us. Something rigid (stick) and something flexible (rope).

Train hard and often and with people who are bigger, stronger, and more skilled than you. Seek realism in your training, don't just go through the motions. When I teach I tell my students to actually try to hit me, I would rather get a bloody nose in a friendly dojang and learn something than on the street against a merciless opponent.
Back to top Go down
The Peace

The Peace

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat May 31, 2014 5:59 pm

Well you should punch in a street fight but only if you have been doing martial arts for a while and your knuckles are strong enough
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat May 31, 2014 8:24 pm

Didn't read all the comments. There's a time and a place to punch. I'm not too into it though; I know how but in a real fight I prefer chokes, grabs, throws; if it's an extreme situation though I'm really primitive, usually just kicking balls then in the face when they keel over, throws followed by hard kicks to soft tissue, hitting them with something/throwing something really heavy at them.... I kinda freak out and go into beast mode when I'm overwhelmed with people who want to hurt me, I kinda blackout and don't remember much afterwards, just bits and pieces sometimes....no, I don't turn big and green too.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat May 31, 2014 9:08 pm

Yes,  The Peace.   The truth of hitting is that it hurts your hand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't punch in a real fight (video)   Don't punch in a real fight (video) - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Don't punch in a real fight (video)
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3