Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?

Go down 
+48
Basilisk
GreyWolf
themarine
Kenpo1
The Peace
Taijibum
whitewing
Dr Z
Bat-Hawk
JohnP
blueguardian
Delta_RLSH
Loco
New Here
qshot789
Anyman
ProfessorProletariat
Shadow Cat
nightmare
arrowdynamic
Providence (The Brave One
Dark Inferno
Archimedes
Wolfe
Rook
Nintyplayer
Amphiptere
Prof. Midnight
Cassiopeia
The Reverend
firelight
Equal
Bandit
Vagabond
Vulpo
Stephen Hannaway
rennora phoenix
Havoc
Polarman
Amazonia
Urban Avenger
JCElite
Gauge
Flora V. Arbor
hiddensparrow
Jack Shadow
Instructor
Blue Rattler
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:20 pm

Polarman wrote:
Ive taken Karate Lessons in my early teens I use it while clearing snow and ice mostly to keep in shape however Dont make me angry You wouldnt like me when Im angry

No joke, Polarbrother!

Shoveling is SERIOUS fitness!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Amazonia

Amazonia

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:28 am

Shoveling is one of the best fitness things I know. To bad we get no snow here, it would be great to shovel snow again.

Flora, you may be right. Only time will tell.
Back to top Go down
Havoc

Havoc

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:51 am

I have never taken a martial art, but i used to wrestle and i focus on holds. I'd like to learn kenpo and ninjitsu. I have been in real rights and mock ones and i always feel "in control" or something like that. The only fighting I know is the experience I have, and I've never actually lost. Not to sound cocky or arrogant im a bitch compared to some of you guys.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed May 02, 2012 12:32 pm

...charming use of language.

I'm sure that you will be a great inspiration to children
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 10, 2012 8:48 am

Wrestling is a martial art.
Back to top Go down
rennora phoenix

rennora phoenix

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 27, 2012 10:32 am

Tae Kwon Do and Ju Jutsu
Back to top Go down
Stephen Hannaway

Stephen Hannaway

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 27, 2012 11:21 am

I have a 1st dan black belt in shukokai karate, But other than sparring session i've never really had to use it on the streets so I don't know how effective it would be.

I like it mostly for its development of good technique, reactions and core fitness.

While it's never been "field tested" i do feel a lot more confident knowing i have the training...
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 27, 2012 9:22 pm

Havoc wrote:
I'd like to learn kenpo and ninjitsu.
I'm a little confused about the mention of ninjutsu. It was the art of being a shinobi, there weren't any martial arts involved in ninjutsu, it was a system to be used for spying, stealing, deceiving and torturing in order to achieve the goals that they are being payed to reach. When a shinobi needed to fight, they would use the same traditional martial arts that soldiers did. Are you saying that you want to learn kenpo as a system for fighting and adapt the historical teachings of ninjutsu to aid you in your altruistic goals?
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue May 29, 2012 7:53 am

There are a number of 'ninjitsu' places available. I have heard the unarmed combat of Ninjitsu called Taijitsu and I have heard it called Ninpo. Some of the formerly Ninja oriented training dojo's have gone mainstream and don't really bring up the Ninja thing anymore.

Most Modern Ninjitsu places either come down from Hatsumi Masaki in Japan or his student Stephen K. Hayes in Ohio. It's an art that has its fair share of hucksters and thieves but that is not uncommon in all modern martial arts.

Reputable places do still exist though if you can find them. You are right that Ninja unarmed fighting is essentially repackaged Jujutsu. A great many martial arts have lineage in jujutsu. Most Ninja places have a lot of weapons available to learn.

I visited a place in Goose Creek S.C. that claimed to teach Ninjitsu. I spent a couple of hours and participated in the class. I also spoke with the teacher after class. I found him and his class to be friendly and professional. To my eye the place seemed legitimate. If I had the money I probably would have trained with him more, not because his style was any better than Hapkido but because I was having fun.
Back to top Go down
Vagabond

Vagabond

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:19 pm

You can see my skills in my signature.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:38 am

Did some tae kwon do when I was little. Self taught boxer and Muay Thai at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:43 am

rennora phoenix wrote:
Tae Kwon Do and Ju Jutsu

That's kinda funny. My sensei and. Were just.. discussing those tonght after class.

Anyway...
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:17 am

Violence.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Frankly if you combine Tae Kwon Do with Ju Jutsu you might end up with something that looks very much like Hapkido.
Back to top Go down
firelight

firelight

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:35 pm

Tae Kwon Do.

But now more into yoga.
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:49 pm

im a fair boxer and i get beaten by some top notch highschool wrestlers when my friend thier coach wants to give them a challenge .
Back to top Go down
Cassiopeia

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:06 am

Hmmm... let's see...

I learned by watching:
Shaolin Snake Style, Karate, Wing Chun and Capoeira

I learned from instructors:
Eskrima, Taekwondo, a little bit of Muay Thai and Kickboxing (muay thai and kick boxing are different according to my instructor)

And I applied the JKD Concepts (and still learning some of them).
Back to top Go down
Prof. Midnight

Prof. Midnight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:31 am

Kali/JKD/silat, kenpo karate, Okinawan shuri-ryu, Yang-style TCC make up my core styles. There is capoeira, kendo, and SCA heavy-weapons combat mixed in there too.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:20 pm

I have one of my huge buddy's who plays football and does wrestling for another highschool come over on the weekends and we spar. I did around 4 years of tae kwon do when I was a little kid. Doing some BJJ(brazilian Ju jitsu) and muay thai at the moment now. The guy that I spar with is around 6'3 210 lbs and I'm around 5'9 120. When we were little kids we got into a fist fight and I gave him a bloody nose and we always kid about it now cause he's so much bigger then me but I put up a fight when we spar. Razz
Back to top Go down
Amphiptere

Amphiptere

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:00 pm

I know some Tessenjitsu and Staff-fighting. That's about it, along with random moves from various other martial arts Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nintyplayer

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:52 pm

I've just started Northern Shaolin Kung Fu.
Back to top Go down
Rook

Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Nintyplayer wrote:
I've just started Northern Shaolin Kung Fu.

An absolutely beautiful art! Keep it up!

-Rook
Back to top Go down
Wolfe

Wolfe

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:22 pm

Krav Maga and Keysi Fighting Method
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:23 pm

I train in:
Jikari-do Kung Fu
Shorinjiryu (Shaolin Technique) Karetedo
Drunken Cripple
Wing Chun

I use a hybrid of these systems to create a fluid system of fighting heavily influenced by the physical aspects of Kung Fu and Karate, but with the philosophy and mindset of Wing Chun. I also use Drunken Boxing as a way to always stay balanced, and fight if I am ever off balance.
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Archimedes

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:38 am

I aso know Spear/staff fighting techniques.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next