Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Start Training now, RLSH Later

Go down 
+13
Flora V. Arbor
Vampireto!
Proteus
Zimmer
Urban Avenger
Artisteroi
Kaiju
DRock
E0N (Inactive)
Equal
Polarman
Gauge
Wolfe
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Wolfe

Wolfe

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Start Training now, RLSH Later Empty
PostSubject: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:16 pm

Listen, Ususally, If you just go out into the field you see some crime happening and you NEED to stop it, and it is a violent crime but you have no training as in martial arts/stealth classes where your at least a Black belt your out of luck beause I can Guaruntee you will be skrewed because what If he has a gun/knife? you don't know how to disarm him . All I am saying is don't get to jumpy to get out onto the mean streets. train first in some sort of martial art. you will be a much better RLSH.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:57 pm

Let's qualify that statement by specifying this advice is for crime patrolling rlsh, only. A children's advocate rlsh or community service rlsh may need litttle or no martial arts training at all.

This is not meant to take anything away from your advice, but we don't want to discourage newbies who may not want to patrol for crimes by saying they must have martial arts training before they can save a kitten from a tree or help a preschooler learn to write their abc's.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:00 pm

I fit in more as the community service and the children's advocate RLSH and yet I have had encounters with dangerous situations so Im willing to see what Wolfe Island has to say
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:04 pm

I don't think a black belt is necessarily a sign of a good choice of style...there are plenty of effective, reality based systems that have long since abandoned such prizes.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:07 pm

I've never seen a bullet been stopped by a black belt.
Back to top Go down
Wolfe

Wolfe

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:17 pm

Guys I might've said blackbelt but I didn't nececarily mean it that way. I just wanted to say It would be a good idea to have some martial arts training. And Dogman, it would be useful to know how to disarm a criminal with a gun before a bullet is shot. And the streets are dangerous plus this post was meant for s serious crime fighting RLSH.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:27 pm

You'll always not have enough training. If you wait until your training is "complete" you'll never get started.
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:40 pm

Sound advice. I'm in training mode myself. Getting in shape first. Martial art second. Gear third. Then active as the last step.
Back to top Go down
Kaiju

Kaiju

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:43 pm

One thing that should be noted is that a lack of training is actually no excuse to wait to get started. Honestly, most patrols are going to just be walking around with nothing happening anyway. And in rare cases where something does happen, you can always just call the police.

The only reason I originally waited to get started was because I didn't have a plan for what I could do as an RLSH yet. Even that I eventually realized was no reason to wait, and I started patrolling to see if there were any ways I could help.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:44 pm

Why not get in shape by training martial arts?
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:50 pm

Costs money that I don't have right now....

*grumble grumble*

I did, however, find a class I really want to join.

I find that I don't do as well when I try to teach myself how to fight. You need an instructor to tell you what you're doing right or wrong. You don't want to find out the hard way. :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:31 pm

If you don't have the resources to train, all that means is the list of

1) Train
2) Patrol

or whatever has turned into

1)Attain resources
2)Train
3) Patrol

Attack the problem you have for going up the next step. Don't skip steps.

Teaching yourself how to fight is an excuse made by people who are naive.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:17 pm

A hobo has the resources to train.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Artisteroi

Artisteroi

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:03 pm

this is a good place for training tips. I am using some of it myself, uses almost no equipment or money.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Hey, wow. That guys whole blog is awesome. Smile
Back to top Go down
Wolfe

Wolfe

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:36 pm

a few tools will usually deter or stop violent crime. including various instruments of loud noise, such as a air horn, whistle, mega phone, sonic grenade. or instruments of bright light such as high powered flashlights. oh and cell phones. these work great for attracting attention to criminals and will usually scare them off, especially if you yell I'm calling the police, or the police are on their way!

and this is coming from a guy who always gets hands on in his crime fighting.
Back to top Go down
Kaiju

Kaiju

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:24 pm

Yeah, if I ever have to stop a crime, those are the kinds of things I plan to use. I'm not a fighter, and I would rather avoid a fight as much as humanly possible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:11 am

And if the criminal isn't interested in not fighting you? Cuz that guy...he is a fighter.

I'm not saying it doesn't ever work. But shine a flashlight into the MS-13 members on the corner and pull out your phone to intimidate them.

The posts about don't let lack of training stop you, not because of what they say, but because of the result I see, which is that there is an utter lack of preparation.

Maybe you'll never be prepared fully, or feel that you are. But if you know nothing about crime, your area, aren't in physical shape, or lack the training to deal with situations as they arise, yeah, you aren't useful out there, and may very well be a danger to yourselves and others through your untrained intervention.

On the other hand, you can certainly train while patrolling a relatively safer area, or do charity events until you are ready to step up to crimefighting.

But for the love of God, do not step out one day after discovering the forum assuming you are prepared to be a superhero.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:17 am

Ms-13? Really? As someone who lives in san diego (where that cartel has actually done business in) I've never come across any. Let's try to be realistic here. The odds of that any one of us running into that are pretty slim.

I'll agree with you on everything else though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:29 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That was the first thing google turned up. But then again, what do I know.

Also...MS 13 and the cartels are two different things, though they do have business together.
Back to top Go down
Wolfe

Wolfe

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:40 pm

This is freaking awesome. Urban Avenger and Aristeroi are on my post! And other amazing RLSH's . Right now I am taking Krav Maga. I recomend it highly, its Defensive AND Offensive and is street fighting. An amazing fighting Martial Art. I am also in a parkour grou, talk about getting around in patrols. Would any of you say that rooftop movement would be the best way to get around?
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:51 pm

If rooftop movement was the best way to get around, we wouldn't have roads and sidewalks.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Rooftops are worthless, unless there's a lot of rooftop crime.

What do you do when you see a crime on the street? By the time you get down its kinda late.

As for me commenting on your post? You're welcome.

Haha just kidding.
Back to top Go down
Wolfe

Wolfe

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:01 pm

Well I gues we will just have to wait until we have some kind of grappling hook gun. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Start Training now, RLSH Later   Start Training now, RLSH Later Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Start Training now, RLSH Later
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next