Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pai Mei Diet

Go down 
+7
patchwork
Gadgetastic!
Proteus
E0N (Inactive)
Blue Rattler
Flora V. Arbor
Instructor
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:34 pm

Pai Mei Diet

I just wanted to share something that is working for me. Trying to shed a few pounds and I decided in addition to my exercise I would diet. But which diet? I finally decided to just kind of invent one for me and so far the results are promising. Nothing special about this diet and it probably exists under a whole host of other names.

I was inspired by the Pai Mei character on Kill Bill vol.2. In the film he pretty much only eats rice and fish heads (yuck!). I decided that I should try to adopt the spirit of the thing though and eat only what a movie warrior ascetic like Pai Mei might eat.

So first things first. I try very hard to limit my meat intake to fish. It's not always possible. For example if we are out at a restaurant and the choice is between grilled chicken and fried fish, I go with the chicken. The main thing is I seek purity in the food, for lack of a better term. I ask myself, what is healthiest here, and I choose to eat it.

The only carbs I choose come from mostly brown rice. I accept that I get enough carbs accidentally throughout the day so when I am making choices I avoid them. I steer clear of bread and fried things.

Vegetables, Vegetables, Vegetables. Pai Mei isn't shown eating them but many real life monks are vegetarian so I figure it's within the realm of possibility. The cheapest source of veggies seems to be the big bags of frozen mixed veggies for stir fry or teriyaki. These usually come with a little pouch of sauce, I usually just chuck that little pouch of fat and carbs right into the garbage. What's left is a colorful and tasty assortment of veggies.

Now I have no illusions I am an American and the junk food is fairly inescapable here. So my goal is to be a 2/3's good guy and a 1/3 bad guy. In other words if I can eat this way for two out of my three meals a day I am in good shape. This really helps keep the cravings for all things junk food under control.

So far it's working beautifully. The pounds are coming off and I am not suffering from horrible cravings. In fact I feel incredible. This is week three of the Pai Mei Diet and so far I've lost seven real pounds (not water weight fluctuations). I know some of you may find this slow but bear in mind that for one meal a day I can pretty much have whatever I want. Sometimes if I am feeling particularly warrior-ish I eat all three meals Pai Mei style but never fewer than two.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:56 pm

this is pretty good for proceeding without info

and

your results are great.

I am a certified personal trainer and

provider of continuing education credts for other personal trainers.

I am happy to go into detail about nutrition for RLSH

with charge
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:06 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
this is pretty good for proceeding without info

and

your results are great.

I am a certified personal trainer and

provider of continuing education credts for other personal trainers.

I am happy to go into detail about nutrition for RLSH

with charge

I don't have a lot of money to pay Sad

I would be interested in why/how the Pai Mei diet is working.
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:19 pm

Sounds great. Lots of good carbs from vegetables and protein. The fish has good fats like Omega 3?

Two quick questions:

- What do you eat for breakfast?
- What do you typically have to drink?
- How is your energy level (especially with the running and MA you do)? I've always heard carbs are somewhat necessary fuel for activities like that.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:20 pm

It works because it's Sinanju:

The sun source of all martial arts, from The Destroyer series of action adventure novels created by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir. The secrets of Sinanju were given by the gods to the first Master of Sinanju in a vision, and have been passed down, father to son, ever since. The sign of the House of Sinanju is a trapezoid bisected by a vertical slash.

In the series, Sinanju is also the name of a small village on the coast of North Korea. The reigning Master of Sinanju is responsible for protecting the inhabitants of the village and feeding them in times of famine. For hundreds of years, the Masters have traveled the world to seek employment from heads of state as royal assassins. They have amassed a huge treasure of gold, jewels and other valuables in payment for their work, as well as volumes of Histories documenting each nation's language, customs and terms of service. Rulers who engendered much work for Sinanju and paid promptly are admired. Amateurs are despised.

The Masters of Sinanju can kill with a touch, dodge bullets and crush metal in their hands as well as many other marvelous martial arts feats. Their strength comes from secret breathing techniques and a diet consisting almost entirely of rice and fish, sometimes duck. Eating beef and most other foods can sicken or kill them. They disdain the use of guns and other weapons. They can also bring a woman to sexual ecstasy using only a fingertip on her wrist.

Chiun, the current Master of Sinanju, works for a secret United States government organization called CURE. Because Chiun has no living descendents, he has been forced to train an American ex-police officer named Remo Williams as his successor. Originally, Remo was to learn only enough of Sinanju to take over as CURE's enforcement arm, but his surprising aptitude convinced Chiun to adopt him and name him the next Master of Sinanju.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:24 pm

Sounds like a very interesting read E0N!
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:28 pm

Blue Rattler wrote:
Sounds great. Lots of good carbs from vegetables and protein. The fish has good fats like Omega 3?

Two quick questions:

- What do you eat for breakfast?
- What do you typically have to drink?
- How is your energy level (especially with the running and MA you do)? I've always heard carbs are somewhat necessary fuel for activities like that.

Breakfast = shredded wheat which has lots of (carbs)

Drink = Mostly water, sometimes coffee. Every once in a long while a diet soda.

Energy level is high. I feel a little hungry between lunch and dinner but it's tolerable. Trust me I get plenty of carbs on accident, everything seems to have carbs in it these days.

My lunch consists mostly of tunafish and fruit.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:45 pm

My favorite dinner so far in the last three weeks is:

Two cups brown Rice

Grilled Habanero Tiliapia (two fillets)

Three cups of Birds Eye Frozen Vegetable Stir Fry. Sans sauce.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:45 pm

I give to RLSH because you-all are RLSH.

I am willing to type it for free for you-all only.

EON did not include the sarcasm part of his post!
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:46 pm

I generally choose to ignore sarcasm, life is to short to be offended.
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:58 pm

IF you're not in the mood for reading, you can check out Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins starring Fred Ward, Joel Grey as Chiun, Wilford "Diabeetus" Brimley and Star Trek's Kate Mulgrew. It's a vastly underrated 80's action flick.

I'm glad to hear your program is working for you. I've been following the concept of cheat days in my diet, the concept being that you follow your diet closely for 5 days and then you get two days where you can eat whatever you want for 1 meal. The wonder of this is that over time you get so in to your program that even for the cheat meals you find yourself eating sensibly, simply because all that junk food becomes unappealing to you.

It's not 100% effective, but since I've changed my eating lifestyle there are certain foods that I used to crave that I just have no desire for now.

Also you might consider adding a piece of fruit in between meals, Eating smaller portions at meal time and small healthy in between snacks trains the body to expect the food and therefore not store fat. Also you find yourself not having those cravings between meals.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Ahhh I see now Remo Williams, I remember the movie. Pretty cheezy.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:01 pm

Instead of having a 'cheat day' it's more like I have a cheat meal. Big fan of fruit, I eat it often.
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:16 pm

The Destroyer series is awesome. Also, the series is huge. Author pumped them out like popcorn.

The diet you describe is pretty good. Just remember that you do NEED carbs. Carbs are what fuel your brain. As you progress and become more and more aware of carbs and thus eat less and less, make sure you don't over do it.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:56 pm

Yes... I like that series and definitely wish Sinanju was real (other than as a city name).

I naturally like this sort of diet, too, except I kinda hate brown rice compared to regular rice.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:57 pm

Ironically I think in Kill Bill vol. 2 he eats white rice. I agree the white tastes better, but the brown is supposedly better for you.
Back to top Go down

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:24 am

Master: I need you to go fetch me some rice, Remo.

Remo Williams: [Enthusiastic] Maybe we could grow some!

Lmao, loved that movie. Very Happy
Sorry for the random post; nice diet Instrctor. Smile

Back to top Go down

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:32 am

Chiun, that's right (fogot the old dude's name for a sec). Smile

Back to top Go down
patchwork

patchwork

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:59 pm

i eat junk food

cant afford to be picky.

when i have the choice i eat healthy, but lets face it, i don't care enough
Back to top Go down
adamm[]

adamm[]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:53 pm

if you wanna lose weight. get some 20lb dumbbells and do fast repetitions. look up some dumbell exercises and get going. keep in mind to do fast and many. if you dont have any weights it dont matter. squats and dead lifts are great even without weight i bet you couldnt do 50 slow ones non stop without feeling the burn.

get an empty paint bucket and fill it 1/4 way with water and shake it up and down and left to right.

if you have a punching bag, use it. it works every muscle in your body. just go apeshit on it for as long as you can, then when your winded and your muscles are mush, punch at a slower pace. if you dont have one and seriously wanna lose weight and get ripped, get one. they R 60$

if you dont have a punching bag, im sure you have a bed. use the matress and lean it so its falling on you and just keep punching it to keep it from falling down.

eat more and smaller meals. i think it takes 2 hours to digest food so if your awake for 12 hours a day thats 6 meals. so if you eat 3 meals a day just eat half as much twice as many times. your body also burns fat when you are active so you can eat litterally a few potato chips to stop the stomach cravings and then if your active enough to put your body in fat burn mode which prevents you from getting further cravings, youll feel full and lose weight.

ive lost 15lbs in 20 days. i was trying for 30 in 30 but i got sick for 5 days Sad now i have 5 days to lose 15 lbs. i dont think its gonna happen but 20lbs in a month is pretty good i guess.

start keeping an eye on how many calories are in what. i had no idea a cinnamon roll at your local gas station had 500 calories !! drink water or tea. 8oz of milk, juice, soda are 110-160 calories. i find myself drinking 4-8 glasses of milk a day, thats 800-1600 calories, or a 1/4 - 1/2 lbs of fat.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:01 pm

short way of answering all of your questions at once is this:

eat every four hours outside of sleep.

22 grams of protien - no more no less

300-600 calories of carbs

low fat.

anything else is just style.

your body will never harmonize with you, you must harmonize with it
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:16 am

Thanks Flora
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:27 am

Hi Flora,

Is 22g of protein a little low for some? I've always heard to try and eat the number of grams in per body weight (e.g. a 200 lb person aims for 200 g/protein per day).

Let me know your thoughts.

-- BR
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:24 am

Blue Rattler wrote:
Hi Flora,

Is 22g of protein a little low for some? I've always heard to try and eat the number of grams in per body weight (e.g. a 200 lb person aims for 200 g/protein per day).

Let me know your thoughts.

-- BR

Great question! Too much protien cannot be stored. The kidneys remove it and the kidneys do not enjoy this.

The grams of protien are for grams of body weight.

The Institute of Medicine recommends a minimum of .8 g of protein per kilogram of body weight for adults. Find your weight in kilograms by dividing your weight in pounds by 2.2. If you weight 180 lbs., for example, you weigh about 82 kg, and thus need a minimum of 66 g of protein daily.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:27 am

eating more protien does not give weight loss.

too much is badbadbad.

too little and you do not heal.

fat and carbs do not heal you.

Protien is not for experimentation or vascilation.

I state that protien should not be counted as a calorie because it is not burned as a fuel but I haven't gotten the studies to be done to, clearly, show this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pai Mei Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Pai Mei Diet
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next