Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pai Mei Diet

Go down 
+7
patchwork
Gadgetastic!
Proteus
E0N (Inactive)
Blue Rattler
Flora V. Arbor
Instructor
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Makes you wonder about those people who drink protien shakes and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:27 pm

I'm drinking a protien shake right now!

Smile

VERY few people get the correct amount of protien
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Healthy Eating - The Hidden Sparrow Way.    Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Hello Instructor (and all!), Cool \/

It is good to hear that your diet is working for you. I am not sure if it is only a temporary thing and if you will have to change things up at any point or not, but for now it is good to hear that things are working out well.

As usual (as I am sure you already know), "exercise is important" as well. Smile (Brief comical reference to a Ninja joke, here.)

I am not sure if any of the following will help (or if it will help anyone here or not), but since we are on the topic of diets here, I thought I might share one that I have developed that has seemed to works really well for me for the past several years, now.

My "diet" usually consists of the following elements and eating times:

1.) I follow the "clock" listed on the diagram of Wikipedia under "Circadian rhythm". (Since I am still quite new, I am not allowed to post links as of yet. So hopefully you can find the one I mean.)

2.) Morning: Right after waking up (and do Yoga/Pilates/warmup/stretching, etc.) I drink back a shot of freshly squeezed lemon juice (if all there is, is lemons) before breakfast. If not, then I consume a fresh orange, or grapefruit or a shot of Tropicana Orange Juice. This is aimed to settle the stomach acids when you wake up and prepare your body for digestion for the day.

3a.) Eat my regular breakfast. I've personally preferred to consume a mix of oats, grains combined with dried fruits, usually topped with some ground flax, sunflower seeds and then some honey...or fresh Maple Syrup if you got it. If you are gluten intolerant (which...Instructor, you don't seem to be, but in case someone else who is reading this is), I am sure you have your own breakfast regime that would suffice as a substitute.

3b.) If you are in an extreme rush to "GTFO", grab 2x Nature Valley granola bars (or more if your body mass calls for it) and eat them on the go.

4.) I only snack on a granola bar or perhaps some candied ginger or dried fruits later on in the morning if absolutely need be. Drinking a lot of water is great, too. It helps settle the cravings.

5.) Lunchtime: This is when I consume my big carbohydrate meal for lunch. All my proteins etc. go here, since the body is naturally ready to be "fuelled" up for the day. If you reference the diagram on the Wiki site, you will notice that it is at this point in any given day that you are ideally preparing your body to produce hormones associated with your 'peak performance' ("Best Coordination") levels. I have set my regime up so that it is not preferrable to eat lunch before 10:00-11am or past 3-3:30pm on any given regular "work day". --You can set your own time limits here...but the timing that I have set for myself has been to eat lunch between 10am-3:30pm for the pure reason that to me "it just feels right". If you can supply me with more educated recommendations, I am more than happy to hear, acknowledge and even perhaps consider them.

Moving on,

6.) If need be later on in the afternoon, snack on some veggies or some more dried fruit or candied ginger. Drink LOTS of water if you are able. --If possible, have your water flask with more lemon / lime concentrate added to it during the course of the day. This will help you lose a good deal of dead weight (of course, you will be going to the washroom a heck of a lot, but that is the point of the exercise).

7a.) If you are dealing with any illness like Gout, I am told (by a good friend of mine who has Gout as an illness in his family, so he remains in really good shape so it doesn't become a problem) that eating LOTS of bananas help to suppress any outbreaks.

7b.) Bananas are great for those times when you have not slept a proper amount of hours as well. Eat but a single banana and it will help your body replenish a day's worth of potassium (a.k.a. "radioactivity"). --And who doesn't like to feel radioactive...*especially* as a superhero! Wink \m/

7c.) By the time the evening comes around (if you reference the mentioned diagram again), your body is preparing to settle down for a comatose state. The last thing you want to be doing is pumping back high amounts of carbs, proteins and processed cheeses. I am told by a great mystic that these are "hard on the stomach" (unless you absolutely need your carbs to run a race the next morning). So have some greens or an apple or some other fresh fruit. Perhaps a light salad with no cheese for "dinner". I essentially starve myself every night before going to sleep...that is, if I don't have any particular greens or fruit or tea around.

8a.) By around 10pm (if you are not out patrolling at this time - in which case, this diet would have to be significantly modified to fit your own scheduled parameters), you will notice that your body will automagically begin to render itself into a hibernative state. You will feel drowsy and ready for sleep. It is usually at this point that I have some non-caffeinated peppermint or licorice tea to help complete digestive processes for the day.

8b.) I also like to kick back a shot of Goat's Milk along with my tea. Since cow's milk is not healthy for adults, I prefer to ingest Goat's Milk instead. I am told by several highly intellectual sources - both highly spiritual and not, that it has a good deal of immune system-boosing properties (I am not able to say which at this time, but I am sure that there are folks here who can figure this out rather quickly)...and because your body is going into a regenerative 'state' anyways, it is a more holistic practice to encourage your body to build up its own fighting agents against various illnesses.

8c.) This is about the time when I kick back my fish oil caplets as well. Since I don't eat fish (generally don't prefer the taste), I still recognize that the EPA & DHA levels are really important, so I put up with the small sacrifice of the briefly accounted for "fishy burp breath" in favour of a smarter thinking pattern the next day. The concentration of Omegas in my diet also help significantly settle a good deal of my ADD. --I guess that's why they used to feed kids Cod Liver Oil, back in "the day".

9.) Sleep. ...'Cuz it's like, important...and stuff. \m/ If I happen to wake up in the middle of the night, I try to have either some more tea, or drink back some more water or munch on a grape or two before going back to sleep. --I am at the point where if I even eat a single slice of toast, my body will feel the "carb rush" and I will NOT be able to get back to sleep for the next number of hours (VERY annoying, since I like toast!). Wink

My older sister is a registered holistic practitioner in the Palo Alto region, California.

She recommends Ayurvedic practices to me all the time.

So far this "lemon juice in the morning" thing seems to work decently well. Which is why I have added it to my above listed regime. I am also told by other respectably intellectual holistic folk in my family (one of whom has actually been honoured with the title of a genuine Samurai) that a half and half mix of freshly squeezed lemon and lime juice is even healthier for you. --Though I cannot seem to recall at this time as to why it would be any different.

If you like, I can re-post this big long Hippy email that my sister sent me a while back with regards to all the "healthy benefits" that drinking lemon juice has to offer.

Perhaps it may help....or perhaps not...either way, I hope that it can help encourage more detailed conversation on health-effort benefits and hopefully inspire any constructive debate that might arise from having posted it.

If I have not bored anyone to death by this point, I'd like to take this moment to thank you (all?) for having read my post in full.

I look forward to receiving any feedback on anything I have written here (positive or constructively critical). As always, it much appreciated.

For the record, I am not a professional dietician, but I have mentioned this diet to several individuals that I know who have been extremely well-researched (and educated) in the field of either human biology, holistic medicine or who happen to be VERY well researched individuals in general...and so far, no one has critiqued me on anything potentially "wrong" I might be doing with this regime. --Whoever does so here, you will be the first! Wink \/

All the best in the interim to whatever works for you and thanks again for listening, \m/

~HS.

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:18 am

HS, lemon juice can ruin yoru teeth.

use a straw.

please, state the difference between goat's milk and cow's milk, molecularly,

why this diet is low in protien,

why the acid in lemons, oranges or grapefruits is good for settling stomach acid.

PS. banans are not high in potasium. oranges are
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:42 am

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
short way of answering all of your questions at once is this:

eat every four hours outside of sleep.

22 grams of protien - no more no less

300-600 calories of carbs

low fat.

anything else is just style.

your body will never harmonize with you, you must harmonize with it

Flora is it 22 grams of protien ever four hours or every day?
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:31 am

Here are a few studies that condradict the myth that excessive protein intake damages kidneys:

Poortmans JR, Dellalieux O. Do regular high-protein diets have potential health risks on kidney function in athletes? Int J Sports Nutr 2000;10:28-38.

Walser M. Effects of protein intake on renal function and on the development of renal disease. In: The Role of Protein and Amino Acids in Sustaining and Enhancing Performance. Committee on Military Nutrition Research, Institute of Medicine. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 1999, pp. 137-154.

Klahr S, Levey AS, Beck GJ et al. The effects of dietary protein restriction and blood-pressure control on the progression of chronic renal failure. N Engl J Med 1994;330:877-884.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:11 am

Instructor wrote:
Flora V. Arbor wrote:

low fat.

every four hours.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:13 am

Jack Shadow wrote:
Here are a few studies that condradict the myth that excessive protein intake damages kidneys:

Poortmans JR, Dellalieux O. Do regular high-protein diets have potential health risks on kidney function in athletes? Int J Sports Nutr 2000;10:28-38.

Walser M. Effects of protein intake on renal function and on the development of renal disease. In: The Role of Protein and Amino Acids in Sustaining and Enhancing Performance. Committee on Military Nutrition Research, Institute of Medicine. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 1999, pp. 137-154.

Klahr S, Levey AS, Beck GJ et al. The effects of dietary protein restriction and blood-pressure control on the progression of chronic renal failure. N Engl J Med 1994;330:877-884.

Since the body does not store protien and get it back into the blood stream as protien,

and because protien is more expensive and because over-intake of protien

is not beneficial, I see no professional or personal reason to shovel it in beyond 22-30

grams per meal.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:59 am

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
Instructor wrote:
Flora V. Arbor wrote:

low fat.

every four hours.

Thanks Flora, I was running low on protien for the first meal, just right for the second meal, and a bit high for the final meal. I will adjust it to match your recommendation.
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:04 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:

use a straw.

why the acid in lemons, oranges or grapefruits is good for settling stomach acid.

Greetings Flora, flower

Thank you for your inquiry!

For the moment, I will only address your last statement and get back to you at a later time with regards to the rest.

If you believe Wikipedia, then the information stated under the category "Banana" is
that they are "slightly radioactive" because of their "high potassium
content".

potassium in an orange: 169mg. (4%) (also from Wikipedia, but under the category of "Orange (fruit)")

potassium in a banana:
358mg. (8%)

I think bananas win, hands down.

All the best and looking forward to addressing the rest of your statements soon,

Smile \/

~HS. :>
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:42 pm

Instructor wrote:
Flora V. Arbor wrote:
Instructor wrote:
Flora V. Arbor wrote:

low fat.

every four hours.

Thanks Flora, I was running low on protien for the first meal, just right for the second meal, and a bit high for the final meal. I will adjust it to match your recommendation.

I would be very interested to hear if you feel differently
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:46 pm

hiddensparrow wrote:
Flora V. Arbor wrote:

use a straw.

Greetings Flora, flower

Thank you for your inquiry!

For the moment, I will only address your last statement and get back to you at a later time with regards to the rest.

If you believe Wikipedia, then the information stated under the category "Banana" is
that they are "slightly radioactive" because of their "high potassium
content".

potassium in an orange: 169mg. (4%) (also from Wikipedia, but under the category of "Orange (fruit)")

potassium in a banana:
358mg. (8%)

All the best and looking forward to addressing the rest of your statements soon,

Smile \/

From this chart, I find that I should have typed, "orange juice".

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm

Now, tell us why "slightly radioactive" is good for health

and

why we should focus on potassium instead of all vitamins and minerals
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:27 am

[quote="Flora V. Arbor"]
hiddensparrow wrote:
Flora V. Arbor wrote:

Smile \/

From this chart, I find that I should have typed, "orange juice".

<vaughns chart URL here>

Now, tell us why "slightly radioactive" is good for health

and

why we should focus on potassium instead of all vitamins and minerals

Greetings Flora,

Thank you for continuing to address your concerns with regards to my post and providing new data to me. Wink

I am currently of the unfortunate belief that Wikipedia is the "end all and be all" of all valid information. Neutral

There are many factors involved in the reasons behind this at this time, but I will not get into them, here.

From the knowledge that has been passed down to me by other intellectuals in my local community, a banana helps to restore radioactive levels within us.

From what I have come to understand, by not sleeping, we lose those levels by the fact that our bodies keep trying to fight itself to stay awake.

Eating a banana (or in the case of your chart, consuming some Orange Juice...or even Prune Juice if you want to go extreme about things) helps to re-balance the amount of radioactivity your body needs to maintain homeostasis. --Though I have yet to try Prune juice as an alternative at this point.

I still prefer to get all of my "orange juice" straight from the original source (personal choice, but also because of the richness in natural Vitamin C).

My intent was not to focus on the potassium alone. Clearly we need many forms of minerals and vitamins to sustain (and propel!) us throughout any given day.

According to a Newswise(dot)com article about fruit flies (titled, "Scientists Identify Second Sleep Gene"), potassium is a key factor in helping us (be able to?) fall asleep. --So perhaps I should be having a banana before going to sleep, rather than once I wake up? As of yet, I am not 100% sure.

I still have yet to find out why it helps me feel more alert and awake to eat one if I have had very little sleep. If you are able to, please bear with me while I continue to search for ways to break down my wisdom to you in more quantifiable levels (it may take a while).

My intent was purely to share what I have learned from my experiences and what has worked really well for me as well as to learn (and hope to help others learn) why my methods work by sharing my knowledge with others.

Hopefully I have at least communicated that much.

I am very grateful for your efforts to have challenged me in mine. Thank you.

If you like, we can continue this conversation in PM so that everyone else can continue to share their thoughts on the original post that Instructor has provided until I come up with more reasonable answers to your queries to share in this public setting.

I happily welcome your continued discussion in a more focused environment.

Cheers and all the best and looking forward to interacting with you soon, Wink \/

~HS.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:43 am

I always ready to disscuss nutrition.

I find that it is good to make new a thread about it

so that many minds can join.

We needn't be private about food.

I have never heard anything about bananas and radio activity

anywhere for any reason but I can go on and on about sleep
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:02 am

[quote="Flora V. Arbor"][quote="Instructor"]
Flora V. Arbor wrote:

low fat.

Flora,

The 300 - 600 calories of carbs . . . is that also per day or every couple of hours? Also, what do you suggest for carbs?
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:54 am

The function of diet on overall health and well being cannot be overemphasized.

We can take it one step further, diet for RLSH and diet for folks we are trying to assist.

If you all want to keep discussing it in this thread it won't hurt my feelings in the least. This stuff is interesting.
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:02 am

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
I always ready to disscuss nutrition.

I have never heard anything about bananas and radio activity

Upon the research that you have inspired me to embark upon with regards to this topic, I have uncovered a really fascinating expression that atomic physicists like to refer to as a "Banana Equivalent Dose".

It has something to do with the particular type of potassium inside bananas (potassium-40).

The following article suggests that we "lose" the amount of radioactivity in our bodies on any given day.

www(dot)nuc(dot)berkeley(dot)edu(slash)node(slash)4250

The Wikipedia article is also included in the above link.

So (by my safe reasoning...I could still be wrong) by consuming a banana after having lost quite a bit of sleep, it replenishes the amount we need in our bodies to stay awake, alert and productively functional.

Also, "Potassium-40 is the largest source of natural radioactivity in animals and humans. An adult human body contains about 160 grams of potassium, hence about 0.000117 x 160 = 0.0187 grams of 40K; whose decay produces about 4,400 disintegrations per second (becquerels) continuously throughout the life of the body." (See Wikipedia under search query, "Potassium-40")

I hope that this helps to answer your question. alien

All the best,

~HS.

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:04 pm

[quote="Blue Rattler"][quote="Flora V. Arbor"]
Instructor wrote:
Flora V. Arbor wrote:

low fat.

Flora,

The 300 - 600 calories of carbs . . . is that also per day or every couple of hours? Also, what do you suggest for carbs?

your brain will burn what ever carbs you put in, even alcohol, but I do not recommend alcohol.

any carbs that you can get are good

and yes, every four hours.

You cannot store carbs as carbs and get them back into your blood stream as carbs.

You brain only burns carbs.

So, eat carbs every four hours
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:34 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:

your brain will burn what ever carbs you put in, even alcohol, but I do not recommend alcohol.

any carbs that you can get are good

and yes, every four hours.

You cannot store carbs as carbs and get them back into your blood stream as carbs.

You brain only burns carbs.

So, eat carbs every four hours

Cool! Thanks for the info, Flora! flower \m/

Out of curiosity, do you have a background in professional nutrition? Or are you well-researched?

Cheers and thanks again,

~HS.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:44 pm

I am an ACE Certified Personal Trainer

and Group Exercise Instructor since the early '90's,

Provider of Continuing Education for other Certified Trainers and Instructors

Evergreen Yoga Certified ( after 18 years of study)

Recognized Expert Witness on the Subject of Weight Lifting

On the Radio five days a week with 600,000 listeners for three years.

National Press nine times and local press much more than that.

The only thing that took me out of the new was 9-11
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:22 am

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
I am an ACE Certified Personal Trainer

and Group Exercise Instructor since the early '90's,

Provider of Continuing Education for other Certified Trainers and Instructors

Evergreen Yoga Certified ( after 18 years of study)

Recognized Expert Witness on the Subject of Weight Lifting

On the Radio five days a week with 600,000 listeners for three years.

National Press nine times and local press much more than that.

The only thing that took me out of the new was 9-11

Very cool!

Got a link to your podcast? I'm more than happy to listen to it! Very Happy

Cheers (and thanks so much again!! I love you )

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:28 am

I do not podcast for free

I ONLY give free info to RLSH because of what we do
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:34 am

Yoga is awesome!

Flora is also awesome.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:12 pm

Instructor wrote:
Yoga is awesome!

Flora is also awesome.

Thank you but I am a vessel of my teachers.

Not to change the subject but, I I can disect every aspect of yoga

and it comes out wanting a LOT
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:44 pm

Quote :
Thank you but I am a vessel of my teachers.

As am I.

Quote :
Not to change the subject but, I I can disect every aspect of yoga

and it comes out wanting a LOT

True of most disciplines. The key is to maximize the good and minimize the bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pai Mei Diet   Pai Mei Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Pai Mei Diet
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next