Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Paleo Diet

Go down 
+9
The-Biomatrix
Leviathan
Superman
Vulpo
Flora V. Arbor
Rogue
E0N (Inactive)
the crimson fist
Urban Avenger
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:50 pm

Back to top Go down
the crimson fist

the crimson fist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:15 am

I try to stay paleo/natural whenever possible. I still get carbs in, but try to stick to natural grains and not baked goods or other items made from flour/processed grain. I also avoid dairy as much as I can, because it's not something we're evolved to consume after a certain stage in life.

All in all, it really has made a difference. I feel healthier than I ever have (also helps that I gave up drinking several months ago), and haven't noticed any real negative effects. Just make sure that you're eating proper veggies to get enough fiber in your diet if you're cutting out grain.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:17 pm

I tend to distrust these things personally. Also carbs are pretty much a staple ingredient of my cooking.

Whatever works for people, though.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:19 pm

Carbs are okay if you are really active or in. Small quantities. Bruce lee swore by pasta and noodles. But the standard american diet is obviously not working. The basic principal behind it is "avoid processed food whenever possible". Which really isn't a bad principal to live by.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:28 pm

It depends on your priorities, I guess. I do care about making my food healthy, but making it taste good and be economical are also high priorities for me. The no carbs thing is especially in competition with the "economical" piece.

Like if you take a look at depression era cooking or what poorer people have eaten as staples of their diets (i.e. North Korea)... it's not impossible, but it's not the cheapest way to go.

I also tend to agree that activity makes a huge difference. Some of the perceived benefits of the paleo diet might be because people on it tend to be into exercising.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:32 pm

I agree about the exercising part. And this sort of thing is not super strict. Some people are very elitist about it while people like myself just try to avoid fast food. I still drink a soda here and there and the occassional drink. But I've virtually eliminated bleached flour and other garbage.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Yeah... I can't really knock it without trying it. I used to make a deliberate effort to eat a protein (meat, mostly) heavy diet and it worked for me pretty well. There was no carb exclusion, though... it just wasn't my focus back then.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:48 pm

I made "paleo" pancakes the other day using almond flour. Finely ground almonds. Its different. They are kinda hard to work with. But you could eat them all day pretty much guilt free.
Back to top Go down
Rogue

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:36 pm

From what I've read of the Paleo diet it seems a bit simplistic and assumes a lot on ancient diets. If you're really trying to eat what people ate a long time ago (before modern people's health plummeted), just look at some historical records, even just from 200-300 years ago. Carbs, meat, other forms of protein, fruits, veggies, dairy...I don't think it's the types of food we're eating that's bad so much as the quality. Get organic fruits and vegetables, grass fed meats, free range chickens, whole grains, juice your fruits instead of buying juice, raw milk, etc. Look into going gluten free, since gluten is one thing that's been way too amped up in hybrid - which is basically all modern - grains. Unless you're gluten intolerant or have celiacs, I wouldn't say you need to take out all gluten, but the amount we consume is too much. It's in almost everything these days, much like soy.

Basically anything fermented is great for you too. Check out fermented cod liver oil. Many societies ate this daily as a way to get a lot of nutrients that they otherwise wouldn't. Just don't look up how it's made Neutral Water or Dairy Kefir and Kombucha are also good to drink.

~Rogue
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Rogue, agriculture is seen as the exact reason people are into the paleo thing. Its short for paleolithic. Caveman hunter gatherer types of food. Most of what you mentioned is pretty spot on though. Its really a primarily vegetarian diet with meat here and there. Nuts and fruits too.
Back to top Go down
Rogue

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:11 pm

What I disagree with is the fact that they assume what 'cavemen' ate and that it was somehow purer than what everyone else through all of time ate (many strict paleo people seem to get rather uppity about it all). Yes, there were many nomadic people who didn't rely on agriculture, but there were many ancient people who did. To completely disregard that is ignoring a lot of healthy people. This is partly coming from the nitpicky archaeologist side though. I like how they promote clean eating though, which is what many people seem to latch on to the most, and what I try to do. I do know a lot of people who are completely grain and dairy free that feel a lot healthier though, so I think a lot depends on each person and what they feel best at. I don't eat many grains, but I need a lot of protein. Others don't. Caffeine wrecks me, and others are fine with it. Basically, just eat clean and cut out what makes you feel bad.

~Rogue
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:23 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

i am happy to have studied so that
I see no fads

UA, if you state your goals, I will help you with your food
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:14 am

I want to lose about 10-15lbs. This isn't a bad way to go about it, but sometimes my body just craves calories and its inconvenient to eat in such a way.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:26 am

Goal: fairly good

Idea: Wrong.

Your brain only has two chemicals
to make you say, "hunger".

One is for fat.
One is for carbs.

There is not one for protein.

too much protein = bad
too little = bad

exact protein every four hours is the ONLY choice.
however, the brain only burns carbs.
So, you CAN'T eat just protein and be great.

So, EXACT protein and about 400-500 calories
of carbs and a bit of fat every four hours

FROM ANY SOURCE

is the ONLY choice for food PERIOD

All other body-shaping is to be done with exercise

( and, maybe, a gastric sleeve)

but the food is NOT to be played with.

Just to make my point, did this diet
EVER discuss the PRECISION necessary for protein in-take?

I didn't think so.

Now, let's look at your workout
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:33 am

Carbs from what? My calorie intake is already around what you discussed and iim not going anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:40 am

1st. how much protein do you need every four hours?

2nd. list the carbs that you are eating?

3rd. what is your exercise program?

Please
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:47 am

Uh, I dunno. Its really random and inconsistent. I'm the furthest from regulated.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:35 am

ok, general is fine.

what are the general things that you were doing before this diet?
Back to top Go down
Rogue

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:56 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:

Your brain only has two chemicals
to make you say, "hunger".

One is for fat.
One is for carbs.

There is not one for protein.

Can you explain this a little more? I've always heard that you want either what your body needs (deficient in something) or doesn't need (addicted to something, like sugar). The only thing I ever really crave is protein. Rarely carbs, especially since going gluten free, and fats even less. If I'm hungry, 9 times out of 10 it's going to be for protein. Maybe I'm mixing craving something for being hungry, but still, I'm usually just hungry for protein!

~Rogue
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:18 am

Rouge, this, that you share, is simplistic stuff from
newspapers...sensational, personal, low in science
and designed to sell papers.

"Addiction to sugar" is the most egregious.

"Addiction" is for non-nutritional things like tobacco.

Please, name the proteins that you crave
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:20 am

You can starve from eating only protien. Its good for muscle growth, but not for creating fuel for the body.

As for my workouts, they are mostly weights with a little bit of cardio thrown in here and there. Usually about 10 minutes on the treadmill, maybe twice a week if I can actually get to the gym.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:56 am

Would you exercise more if you could do it at home or at a park?
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:58 am

Not really an option. I'm home long enough to sleep, maybe. I'm at work most of the time and try to hit the gym if I can. Sometimes I go in the morning. Really depends on my energy levels.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:58 am

It isn't, exactly, starving from eating only protein.

It's more like poisoning
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:59 am

So, it is easier to exercise first thing in the AM?

Can you exercise at lunchtime?

We are help your energy level with food choices
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Paleo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Paleo Diet   The Paleo Diet Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

The Paleo Diet
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next