Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?

Go down 
+33
Crossfire the Crusader
SkyMan
JohnDoe
Superhuman
dcguardian
The Ambassador
Midnite Detective
Mister
Shield Mongoose
Lost Prophet
Dark Patriot
Overwatch
patchwork
Alastor
Gauge
Gadgetastic!
Reiki Ninja
Fear
E0N (Inactive)
Paladin
Atavistik
Alchemist
Jack Shadow
Blue Phoenix
Un-named_Hero
Equal
Flora V. Arbor
Prof. Midnight
The Grey Man
The Samaritan
Entomo
The Eye
Dark Guardian
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Equal

Equal

Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:46 am

EON, I challenge you in a duel of GLIMA!

All you have to do is get the gear you need and get over here.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:26 pm

What's Glima?

It's called "Seibukan Jujutsu," so I guess "Seibukan"?

The guy talked a lot about how fast I could become a black belt. It's not a crazy thing to talk about, but it had nothing to do with what I was asking about.

I'm looking around for some free stuff in the few army gyms around here. My interest in Jujutsu is mostly just because it's what army combatives is based on, so it's the only thing I could sorta say I already have some practical experience with.

Also the sparring thing... I get silly about it occasionally, but all I'm really talking about is a friendly invitation to spar.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:41 pm

Yes. ...friendly nail-clipping.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:42 pm

sorry, me = too flippant.
I must say that Aikido comes to the top of the list very often.

Aikido is what I use on the animals when I have to give them meds and
not hurt them
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Glima is the deadly icelandic art of getting-the-other-guy-to-the-ground-by-only-using-momentum-in-a-wierd-way and the worst self defense EVER. Poetry is better self defense than glima!
Back to top Go down
Dark Patriot

Dark Patriot

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:27 pm

Just a note. Take into account that when you study a style, that no matter what, there will be weapons in that fight, the ones YOU are carrying!. IFor that reason, I dont rely on MACP for initial contact, I'll strike first with a medium range technique if possible (punch, kick, ASP, etc) MACP is GREAT if I get taken to the ground, but I dont want to get that close if I dont have too.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:39 pm

Dark Patriot wrote:
Just a note. Take into account that when you study a style, that no matter what, there will be weapons in that fight, the ones YOU are carrying!. IFor that reason, I dont rely on MACP for initial contact, I'll strike first with a medium range technique if possible (punch, kick, ASP, etc) MACP is GREAT if I get taken to the ground, but I dont want to get that close if I dont have too.

good points, sir!

Bruce Lee said to always use your farther weapons
and
heckya for staying off of the ground!

The Discovery Channel did a measure of punches.
'Straight on' is about 500 pounds.
With the ground preventing the waivering of the watery human bod,
a punch to someone on the ground is about 2000 pounds
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:57 pm

I like me some no-punch to light contact sparring. hard to find someone disciplined enough to play with though.

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:04 pm

Atavistik wrote:
I like me some no-punch to light contact sparring. hard to find someone disciplined enough to play with though.

too true.

I remember one brown belt who sparred me when sparring
terrified me.

He hit me every where ( decent ) and never hurt me once.

Our school was big on not hitting hard in class BECAUSE it is hard to do.

Hard hitting was for the bags.

I cherish that brown belt and my former school
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:28 pm

I sparred with a guy who'd trained in three different styles for a total of about twelve years, great sparring partner with some technically proficient kicks and strikes. the matches were always intense, fast paced and occasionally accompanied by a crowd. {at this point I'll say that they weren't exhibition or anything..... we sparred in the park} we never actually hit each other, but some of the things that happened then I couldn't recreate if I tried. he liked to say that I had the most visually stimulating yet functional home-made kung fu he'd seen.

the best part was, it was all for fun and games. pushing ourselves in a fun and friendly manner with the only goal being the interplay of foot and fist, not victory.

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:07 pm

Ata, we can work out that "no-punch to light contact sparring" thing pretty easily. We live near enough that it's almost negligent of us not to have met yet.

I've never sparred that way, though... just punched at a bag.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:43 pm

Dude, that is an awesome compliment!

I like "sticky hands"

...trying to touch the stomach while keeping wrist contact with both hands
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:34 am

E0N wrote:
Please, guys.

Anybody wanna visit CA and spar? Razz

I'll be in San Diego in July at HOPE.
Smile Amazonia and I will be lookiing forward to it.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:51 am

Does that mean you want to spar then...? Razz I might be able to make it down there, but I'm not sure it'd be a good venue for that. We could maybe work out something.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:53 am

Yep. I know she wants to as well.
We'll be there three or four days. We can work something out.
Plenty of time between handouts.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:25 am

July 23rd... right? Okay... I'll be there. Smile I dunno what kinda sparring places might be in that area, tho.
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:55 am

I was kinda thinking along similar lines. I have a bit of financial stuff to overcome right now..... I'll definitely keep you appraised of possibilities. I'm also trying to get back on my healthy track, been kinda book wormy lately.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:59 pm

Worst training session I ever had was a student, just starting out, who applied a back bending wrist lock, and did it so fast and with so much force that my wrist was numb for 6 weeks. That student was asked to leave.
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:41 pm

I actually fell victim to a veeeerry dishonorable strike from a shinai one time... on the next advance (being about the fourth or so) I knew what his move was going to be (again, I go for interplay. this guy went for kills) and acted accordingly. where he had been going for a block kill combo, I effectively disarmed him by "slicing off" his fingers in one move. his weapon hit the ground and he never wanted to play again. *note; I have fenced with foils and sparred with bokken, shinai and live blades, unfortunately never with the proper protective gear. in recent research into Iaijutsu (draw/attack combo art) I've read of blunt blades of steel or aluminum, going to look into these for training.

**second note; why the hell is there no red squiggly beneath w2ith??? is that a word now? W2ith. HOLY $#!t!! it is. what does that mean?
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:52 pm

Did some iaido a year I didn't have a dojo nearby. Did wonders with ma-ai and balance.
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:04 pm

I've honestly never been in a dojo..... I wasn't allowed to play with guns as a kid. Nana always said "If you're gonna do it, make sure you're close enough to look in their eyes so you can understand what you did, you can't do that with a gun." and she let me play with sticks and toy swords, hatchets, knives. she even used to supervise matches between me and IA when we were kids..... I always had an affinity for finding "the flow" and maintaining control of my weapon. it's served as meditation and a form of focus.

I've played with all kinds of weapons but I'm fond of the three section staff and chain (neither for combat, just fun and circles) staff and Tai Chi/Gim sword or a straight backed Katana. I'm also a decent multi-tasker so I like using two weapons sometimes too.

8 and I spar with bokken and I have some nerf swords to play with the boys (who can't decide if they're Jedi or Shinigami.....) Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:45 pm

E0N wrote:
July 23rd... right? Okay... I'll be there. Smile I dunno what kinda sparring places might be in that area, tho.

Sparring places?
Never been to one.
Lets just put on some pads and find a quiet park.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:46 pm

Pads? Real men spar with dusters!
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:17 pm

I'm hitting San Francisco for the Pride thing again. I'll probably try to get some folks to head that way again..... last year was fail, but this year I'll be prepared waaaay in advance, I think we already have a room booked. at least, that's the plan. I know there's a park there.......
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:49 pm

When is that...?

Pads... hmm. I guess I'll need to get some pads. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?
Page 7 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next