Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?

Go down 
+33
Crossfire the Crusader
SkyMan
JohnDoe
Superhuman
dcguardian
The Ambassador
Midnite Detective
Mister
Shield Mongoose
Lost Prophet
Dark Patriot
Overwatch
patchwork
Alastor
Gauge
Gadgetastic!
Reiki Ninja
Fear
E0N (Inactive)
Paladin
Atavistik
Alchemist
Jack Shadow
Blue Phoenix
Un-named_Hero
Equal
Flora V. Arbor
Prof. Midnight
The Grey Man
The Samaritan
Entomo
The Eye
Dark Guardian
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:11 am

Good topic.
Perhaps someone will start it up
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:45 am

Atavistik wrote:
Chi/Ki has been Christened "Bio-Magnetism" and is, according to what I read recently, said to have the potential to aid in healing yourself and others as well as enhancing the art itself.
Ki is energy. ANY energy.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:00 am

How much chi is between Earth and it's Moon?

Is the flow of chi different in different parts of the Solar System?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:19 am

Hello all.

I would like to recommend a few things. I work in the martial arts field. I also have trained qigong for 10 years.

REALITY
I suggest that everyone involved in violent encounters read this book:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You can probably get it or request it at your local library. It has rocked the martial arts world, by pointing out the reality of street violence vs martial arts training in school. It also mentions the right and wrong ways to handle yourself for legal purposes. The writer dealt with daily violence as a prison guard.

STYLE
As far as what style to train, its really much more about the individual than the style. Any martial art can be used for self-defense if trained properly. I love traditional arts, but I agree that mixed martial arts are an evolution of the traditional arts, as long as they are well-rounded to include: punching, kicking, wrestling and ground fighting, and some form of grappling/chin na. You need to train all of these.

I think traditional sword fundamentals would be good to train, as it allows you to use a short weapon (stun baton/cattle prod) and keep an opponent at a distance. Chinese sword is cool, as you learn to bring your awareness out to the tip of the sword. You use sticking and neutralizing to maintain distance and put down an opponent before they can reach you.

Unless they have a gun. That's a whole nother story.

ENERGY
The Chinese word Qi means "energy". It pertains to any form of energy, including the energy in your body. By meditating and training qigong, you learn how to feel your body's energy and increase it beyond normal. It is a complex topic and many books are too vague. I recommend searching for "martial arts qigong", as opposed to basic qigong.

To simplify the topic: your body is comprised of about 1 trillion cells. Each cell has energy, which modern medical science calls "ATP". Whatever you call it, Qi, Ki, Prana, etc this energy comes from the food you eat, and the air you breathe. Hormones play an important role in metabolizing energy in the body. So if you're serious about increasing your Qi, you have to learn about conserving hormones, and increasing the metabolic process.

A side effect of training qigong or meditation is that you become more relaxed, and emotionally neutral, which can help you to remain calm during an emergency. When you are calm, you can feel more sensitive and aware, which is also beneficial.

Please be safe.

Yours in the light,
VOID
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:39 pm

Hello, Void.

ATP is the fuel not the heat generated by the fuel
Back to top Go down
Prof. Midnight

Prof. Midnight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:37 pm

Thanks Void. I recommended that book a few months ago. Glad to have someone else do it. Flora is is mostly right. ATP (adenosine triphosphate) is an energy transfer molecule. It is produced during cellular respiration.
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:33 pm

Diesel wrote:
Atavistik wrote:
Chi/Ki has been Christened "Bio-Magnetism" and is, according to what I read recently, said to have the potential to aid in healing yourself and others as well as enhancing the art itself.
Ki is energy. ANY energy.

when will people learn that I don't say it unless I read it. it is honestly not something you can classify so easily. I was simply relaying what I read recently on the SCIENTIFIC study of such things........ yeesh Rolling Eyes

moving on......
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:34 pm

Quote :
note; see how much better the colors look on black?
Back to top Go down
Paladin

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:45 pm

Chi, in general terms, is energy.

However, Ata is right. There has been a lot of research recently regarding the control that meditation and "chi manipulation" has on the EM fields around the meditators in questions...

Field theory, quantum theory, etc, is starting to tell us that our ancestors weren't completely barmy in regards to some aspects of their mysticism.

Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:06 pm

that's all I'm saying...... you can argue with me all day long. somebody with a PHD said it first.

it's just way more complicated and simpler than that.
Back to top Go down
Paladin

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:20 pm

Atavistik wrote:

it's just way more complicated and simpler than that.

It always is.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:07 pm

I would just throw in that if you speak Chinese or a language with Chinese derived vocabulay (i.e. Korean) -- "Ki" is not some mysterious uber mystical word. It's part of how you say simple things like "mood" or "steam."

And yep, it means energy. Just wanted to throw out that it's not some special Kung Fu theater only type word there.

:/
Back to top Go down
Paladin

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:12 pm

EON: we know. But, in the context in which it's usually used in North America, it usually means the vital energy of a person... which, science says, CAN, in fact, be focused and directed.
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:46 pm

okay.... fine. REISHI.

point is, that we are speaking of the "life force" the energy that we are comprised of and that comprises all matter at a subatomic level.

the following is from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Can Science Measure Healing Chi?

Scientists call chi "biomagnetism," a bioelectric current or life energy field, measured in biophotons running through our nerves and which send signals back and forth to our brain.

With the use of EEG and other sensitive instruments, scientists have made many attempts to track and measure this life force and its effect on the environment, plant and animal life, and on humans.

You don't have to be a qigong master, a feng shui expert or a Chinese medical practitioner to experience this life energy.

To find out what wai dan or "external" energy feels like, do the following simple test: rub your hands together until they become very warm, then hold them loosely and relaxed about four or five inches (between seven to ten cm) apart, fingers slightly parted.

At this point, you should feel a slight tingling or numbing sensation. This is what vital life energy feels like on a very superficial level. With prolonged practice the feeling should intensify, sometimes becoming very hot, though not uncomfortably so. It can also become tangible in sensation, like a pressure or an invisible ball.

further studies into physiology and "proper training" of the mind and body have concluded that the benefit of such is generally manifested physically by the muscle, flesh and bone of the test subject actually increasing molecular density through exertion of their will.

like I say..... I usually read it somewhere before I said it.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:49 pm

none of us are born good at it.

ALLL of us have to work at it like learning to play piano
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:55 pm

on EON's comment; and if you add ear to door/gate in Chinese, it means to listen. put intersecting lines in mouth and it's field.

martial art and grammar/language are two things..... although grammar/language is a "great skill learned over time"
Back to top Go down
Paladin

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:02 pm

And EVERY skill that takes time and effort to perfect is "Kung Fu".
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:08 pm

@Paladin,

ah!! Yes!

"Kung Fu"
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:38 pm

Trivia; about 20 years ago or so, the former Shaolin Grand Abbot (a venerable I-Ching master etc.) felt it necessary to seek out the most beneficial arts and their masters at Song Mountain to pour their knowledge into the next generation. in the end, 4 (including the Abbot) stayed on to teach a select group of students. of the students, all of whom were exceptional, one was said to excel and was deemed "the one that would pass Wushu/Shaolin/martial arts to the next generation." this multiple time tournament champion and actor was tasked to pass the true message of martial arts in his movies.

this came from an old documentary about how great China is from China...... although you would not recognize the name of this young man, if you saw the film you would see yet one more reason Jet Li is the man.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:53 am

I focus alot on ki in my MA.

Ki is the gravety, keep me in balance. Ki is the momentum from uke that I use with my own ki in my technices. Ki is the momentum I got as an uke, and the gravety I challenge, and I use it to roll instead of letting it hurt me. It's ki in the wind, an the waves and in the fire. It's energy. Any energy. Nothing magical or mystic about it. It's natural. Without ki we wouldn't be moving at all. We would be dead.
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:40 am

Atavistik wrote:
okay.... fine. REISHI.

point is, that we are speaking of the "life force" the energy that we are comprised of and that comprises all matter at a subatomic level.

if you're not gonna bother to read through things before you say something don't get upset when I say something about it. and do your homework....... if you think there's nothing mystical or "magic" about life, well...... then how'd it happen?
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:41 am

note; the word I used here was one that is equivalent to spirit energy....... I changed the subject
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:41 pm

But, we digress. This thread is best "martial arts style."

When it comes to discussing energy/Qi, it always get a bit challenging. Everyone is usually in agreement, using different terms to say the same thing. Its a complex subject. Its nice to see everyone is open to the subject of Qi, and the kung fu of developing your body's energy.

Basic awareness of Qi, and getting into the zone in your training, or "feeling the qi" is helpful. The more you pay attention to body feeling in your training, the more you will develop qi. Your energy follows your consciousness.

Learning to "go with the flow", and learning some circular martial art techniques, to redirect an opponent's force is a good idea.

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:29 pm

CIRCLES!!
YAY!
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:41 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
CIRCLES!!
YAY!

and that's really how simple it is.

but yeah..... many apologies for the tangent. I'm an internal guy, I think it's from being so close to nature all the time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next